Vikas Swarup appointed as High Commissioner of lndia to Canada
Vikas Swarup is a 1986-batch IFS officer. He was conferred with the US-India Business Council’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2009.
Vikas Swarup was appointed as the High Commissioner of lndia to Canada. A decision in this regard was taken by the Union Ministry External Affairs (MEA) on 16 February 2017.
At the time of elevation, Swarup was working as the Spokesperson of the MEA. Gopal Baglay, the Joint Secretary in the Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan (PIA) Division in the MEA, will succeed Swarup.
Who is Vikas Swarup?
• Vikas Swarup is a 1986-batch Indian Foregin Service (IFS) officer.
• In his nearly over three-decades long career, he represented India in various positions.
• In his diplomatic career, Vikas has been posted in various countries such as Turkey (1987-1990), the United States (1993-1997), Ethiopia (1997-2000), the United Kingdom (2000-2003) and South Africa (2006-2009).
• He served as the Consul General of India in Osaka-Kobe, Japan from 2009 to 2013.
• He also served as the Director of PAI (Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran) Division in the MEA.
• As a novelist, he has published three books viz., Q&A, Six Suspects and The Accidental Apprentice.
• The first novel, Q&A, was written in two months when he was posted in London. The Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire was based on this book.
• The book has been published in 43 languages, including Arabic, French, German and Chinese.
• In May 2015, he was appointed as the Official Spokesperson of the MEA.