Vinay Mittal, a former Indian Railway Traffic Service officer was appointed as a member of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on 8 August 2013. He is the eighth members in the Commission.
Vinay Mittal has worked as chairman of Railway Board for two years from 30 June 2011 to 30 June 2013.
Vinay Mittal is an officer of Indian Railway Traffic Service (1975 batch). He was worked in various capacities in the Railways including as General Manager of South Eastern Railway, Additional General Manager, Central Railway, Divisional Railway Manager-Bilaspur, Chief Passenger Transportation Manager, Chief Freight Transportation Manager and Executive Director, Traffic Transportation (Movement) in Railway Board among others.
About the UPSC
• The Union Public Service Commission has been established under Article 315 of the Constitution of India. The Commission consists of a Chairman and ten Members.
• Appointment of the UPSC member is for a period of six years or until he/she attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
• UPSC is responsible for conducting examinations for appointment to the higher civil services and civil posts under the Union Government; including recruitment to the All India Services.
• The present Union Public Service Commission headed by D P Agrawal, and members of UPSC are Rajni Razdan, Venkatarami Reddy Y, Alka Sirohi, David R Syiemlieh, Manbir Singh, former CBI director Amar Pratap Singh and Former Navy Vice Chief D K Dewan.
• The Department of Personnel & Training (Union Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions) is responsible for appointing the chairman and members to the UPSC.
Where: New Delhi
When: 8 August 2013