Quizzes for the week cover the most important happenings of the week. These quizzes will help you in revising the week at an ease, as it hosts the most important occurrences/happenings of the week that may be asked in the nearest competitive exam that will be faced by you. The quizzes covered in this weekly segment include the first Hollywood actor to win genderless award, International Yoga Day event 2017 and Japan's men-only island among others.
1. He in May 2017 was elected as the youngest President of France.
a) Emmanuel Macron
b) Manuel Valls
c) Marine Le Pen
d) Benoit Hamon
2. Name the Japan's men-only island that was recommended by UNESCO for World Heritage status.
a) Hashima Island
b) Sakhalin Island
c) Tashirojima Island
d) Okinoshima Island
3. Justice Leila Seth, the renowned jurist who passed away, was the first woman chief justice of which high court?
a) Himachal Pradesh high court
b) Madhya Pradesh high court
c) Andhra Pradesh high court
d) Kerala high court
4. Which Hollywood actor/actress bagged the first-ever MTV genderless award?
a) Emma Watson
b) Hugh Jackman
c) Taraji P Henson
d) Jessica Chastain
5. What is the mascot of Asian Athletics Championships that is scheduled to be held from 6 to 9 July 2017 at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar?
b) Olive Ridley Turtles
c) Fishing cat
d) Irrawaddy dolphins
6. Who of the following topped the Sunday Times Rich List 2017?
a) Leonard Blavatnik
b) Sri and Gopi Hinduja
c) David and Simon Reuben
d) Lakshmi Mittal
7. Who of the following was conferred with the Tholkappiyar Award for the year 2015-16?
a) R Kalaikkovan
b) Avvai Duraisamy
c) N. P. Manicham Errthandaar
d) Thiru Narayana Iyengar
8. What was the theme of the 2017 World Migratory Bird Day?
a) Stop the Illegal Killing, Taking and Trade of Migratory Birds
b) Their Future is our Future- A Healthy Planet for Migratory Birds and People
c) Energy-Make it Bird Friendly!
d) Destination Flyways: Migratory Birds and Tourism
9. Name the Indian all-round cricketer who recently became the highest wicket-taker in Women’s One-Day Internationals.
a) Jhulan Goswami
b) Mithali Raj
c) Deepti Sharma
d) Poonam Yadav
10. Name the Indian wrestler who won a bronze medal in the Greco-Roman weight divisions in 80kg category on the opening day of the Asian Wrestling Championship.
a) Gurpreet Singh
b) Harpreet Singh
c) Ravinder Singh
d) Hardeep Singh
11. The Union Government has created a task force on employment data. Who of the following will be chairing the task force?
a) M. Sathiyavathy
b) Pulak Ghosh
c) Manish Sabharwal
d) Arvind Panagariya
12. Which Indian city would be hosting the biggest ever International Yoga Day event on 21 June 2017?
a) New Delhi
13. The Indian Army recently planned to re-introduce Cordon and Search Operations as a part of its counter terrorism operations after a gap of how many years?
a) 15 Years
b) 10 Years
c) 12 Years
d) 13 Years
14. Which of the following banks has been put under watchlist under Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) due to high bad loans?
a) Canara Bank
b) Corporation Bank
c) Bank of Baroda
d) IDBI Bank
15. As per a recent study published in The Lancet, how much percentage of total TB cases in India will turn into Drug-resistant TB by 2040?
1. (a) Emmanuel Macron
Pro European centrist leader Emmanuel Macron has been elected as President of France after winning 20.7 million votes. Thirty-nine-year old former investment banker, who has never held elected office, becomes the youngest President and occupant of the Élysée Palace. He is France's youngest leader since Napoleon Bonaparte.
2. (d) Okinoshima Island
A UNESCO advisory body recommended adding Japan’s island of Okinoshima, a men-only ancient religious site in Fukuoka prefecture, to its World Heritage list. Okinoshima still follow strict taboos from ancient times, including the controversial ban on women from entering the island.
3. (a) Himachal Pradesh High Court
Justice Leila Seth (86), an eminent jurist and the first woman chief justice of Himachal Pradesh high court, recently passed away. Justice Seth was the first woman to have topped the London Bar exam and was the first woman judge of the Delhi High Court.
4. (a) Emma Watson
Harry Potter fame star, Emma Watson was conferred the first ever ‘Genderless Acting Award’ for Best Actor category on 7 May 2017 at the annual MTV Movie and TV Awards ceremony held at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California.
5. (b) Olive Ridley Turtles
The sea turtle, Olive Ridley was declared the mascot of the Championship, while the logo depicts an athlete crossing the finishing line with historical tourist attractions of Odisha.
6. (b) Sri and Gopi Hinduja
The 29th edition of the Sunday Times Rich List 2017 was announced on 7 May 2017. The List announced the names of Britain’s 1000 wealthiest people including 40 Indian-born citizens. The Hinduja brothers Srichand and Gopichand are placed on the first spot in the Sunday Times Rich List 2017. The Hinduja Brothers have estimated assets worth 16.2 billion pounds.
7. (a) R Kalaikkovan
The Tholkappiyar award is a Presidential Award for scholars in classical Tamil. The Tholkappiyar Award for lifetime achievement in classical Tamil was awarded to Dr S N Kandaswamy (2013-14), Dr A Dakshinamurthy (2014-15) and Dr R Kalaikkovan (2015-16).
8. (b) Their Future is our Future- A Healthy Planet for Migratory Birds and People
The World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) 2017 was observed across the world on 10 May 2017. The theme for WMBD 2017 is "Their Future is our Future – A Healthy Planet for Migratory Birds and People." The theme for the year throws light on the topic of Sustainable Development for Wildlife and People.
9. (a) Jhulan Goswami
Indian women's team fast bowler Jhulan Goswami on 9 May 2017 became the highest wicket-taker in the history of Women’s One-Day Internationals. She broke the decade-long record Australian Cathryn Fitzpatrick’s 180 wickets from 109 matches.
10. (b) Harpreet Singh
Indian wrestler Harpreet Singh on 10 May 2017 won a bronze medal in the Greco-Roman weight divisions on the opening day of the Asian Wrestling Championship. In the opening match played in New Delhi, Harpreet defeated his rival Jun Ji Na of China 3-2 in 80kilogram category.
11. (d) Arvind Panagariya
The Union Government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 9 May 2017 created a task force on employment data. The task force to be headed by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Arvind Panagariya and will be responsible for create a methodology to generate timely and reliable employment data.
12. (b) Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad will be hosting the biggest ever International Yoga Day event on the 21 June 2017. It was announced by Yoga Guru Baba Ramdev who said that about 5 lakh people will be participating in the event. The programme would be organised in partnership with the Gujarat government.
13. (a) 15 Years
Indian Army has planned to re-introduce cordon and search operations (CASO) as a part of its counter terrorism operations after a gap of 15 years. The major objective behind the reintroduction of combing operations is to bring the situation in the Kashmir Valley under control.
14. (d) IDBI Bank
The Reserve Bank of India has initiated Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) for IDBI Bank in view of high net Non-Performing Asset (NPA) and negative RoA (return on assets). The gross non-performing assets (NPAs) or bad loans of the bank shot up by 80% to Rs 35,245 crore for the December quarter and its RoA also declined to (-)2.32 at the end of the third quarter of 2016-17.
15. (c) 12.4%
A new study has found that India could witness an alarming spike in cases of multidrug-resistant (MDR) tuberculosis by the year 2040. The study was published on 9 May 2017 in the prestigious medical journal The Lancet. The study forecasted the percentage of MDR tuberculosis among incident cases of tuberculosis. As per the study, it will make up 12.4% of the TB cases in India, 8.9% in the Philippines, 32.5% in Russia, and 5.7% in South Africa in 2040.