Worthy Fights: A Memoir of Leadership in War and Peace: Leon Panetta and Jim Newton
A book titled Worthy Fights: A Memoir of Leadership in War and Peace authored by Leon Panetta, and Jim Newton was released on 7 October 2014. Panetta is a former Defence Secretary and ex-CIA Director and Newton is an editor of the Los Angeles Times.
The authors in the book have said that Pakistani spy agency ISI have close ties with terror groups and is an open secret. It also accuses ISI by telling that this was the reason why the US did not share the intelligence about the raid on Osama bin Laden's hideout with Islamabad.
Panetta through the book for the first time came in a different tone in relation to ISI links with terror outfit. Earlier, he has been a strong advocate of US-Pakistan relationship and always came out in strong defence of ISI and the Pakistan Army whenever allegations of spy agency having links with the terrorist outfit was raised. He has issued certificates to ISI on allegations of its links with terror outfit.
About Leon Panetta
• He was the director of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) from 2009–2011 in the first term of the Obama Administration and later served as his Defence Secretary from 2011–2013
• The Italian American Democrat was a member of the US House of Representatives from 1977–1993,
• He was the director of the Office of Management and Budget from 1993–1994 and President Clinton’s chief of staff from 1994–1997
• He is the founder of the Panetta Institute for Public Policy
• He has served as professor of public policy at his alma mater, Santa Clara University
About Jim Newton
• He is editor at large of the Los Angeles Times
• He has worked with Los Angeles Times for twenty-five years as a reporter, editor, bureau chief, and columnist
• He is the author of two critically acclaimed biographies, namely
a) Justice for All: Earl Warren
b) The Nation He Made and Eisenhower: The White House Years
When: on 7 October 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
PM Modi plans to connect with youth through his book to be published later this year
Indira Gandhi: A Life in Nature authored by Jairam Ramesh launched
Mitchell’s book, Who Has Seen the Wind, returned to library after 52 years with apology note
India might become an educationally failed nation: Ganesh Devy