Teaching is considered as one of the most respectful and dedicated profession since ages. A teacher is one of the most responsible people to shape up nation’s future through its proper guidance and knowledge.
Becoming a government teacher can be possible if a candidate has Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) degree and qualify TET at the same time.
Here we will come across some of the courses that can be necessary of you want to opt for teaching profession and eligibility criteria of TET.
Eligibility to Become a Government School Teacher
The minimum eligibility to become a government teacher is having Graduate degree in any of the disciplines. But, having a graduation degree is not enough for candidates to apply for teaching jobs until he/she has B.Ed, BTC, NTT or any degree mentioned below along with the graduation degree.
There are some courses that are necessary for candidates who want to pursue teaching as a profession.
- B.Ed or Bachelor of Education - This is one of the most popular courses for getting into the profession of teaching. Duration of this course is 2 years. After completing this course candidates become eligible to get a teaching job in primary, upper primary and high school.
- B.T.C or Basic Training Certificate - Only Uttar Pradesh candidates can apply for this course. After completing this course candidates become eligible for teaching jobs in primary and upper primary schools.
- N.T.T or Nursery Teacher Training - For this course, the candidates should have passed 12th (senior secondary) and the age should be in between 18 to 30 years. After completing this course, the candidates become eligible for teaching jobs in primary schools.
- B.P.Ed or Bachelor in Physical Education - Only those candidates can apply for this course who opted for physical education as a subject in Class 12. Eligibility of this course is graduation degree. Nowadays there are lots of opportunities for physical education teachers.
- J.T.B or Junior Teacher Training - Minimum eligibility for applying for this course is 12th pass. After completing this course candidates become eligible for teaching jobs in primary schools.
- D.Ed or Diploma in Education - It is a two year duration certificate-level course done for getting a primary teacher job in Bihar and Madhya Pradesh. Minimum eligibility to apply for this course is 12th pass.
Salary of a Government Teacher
- PRT - Rs. 9,300-Rs. 34,800 plus 4200 grade pay
- TGT - Rs. 9,300-Rs. 34,800 plus 4600 grade pay
- PGT - Rs. 9,300-Rs. 34,800 plus 4800 grade pay
What is TET/ STET?
Teacher Eligibility Test (TET) or State Teacher Eligibility Test (STET) is the first step to become a government teacher. Teacher eligibility test (TET) is mandatory and without qualifying it one cannot become a teacher in any government school. Candidates should start preparing for CTET (Central Teacher Eligibility Test) and TET (Teacher Eligibility Test) after graduation or Post graduation because many private schools have also made TET mandatory for the selection process of teachers.
Eligibility Criteria of TET
- Senior Secondary (or its equivalent) with at least 50% marks or appearing in final year of 2- year Diploma in Elementary Education (by whatever name known) OR
- Senior Secondary (or its equivalent) with at least 45% marks and passed or appearing in final year of 2- year Diploma in Elementary Education (by whatever name known), in accordance with the NCTE (Recognition Norms and Procedure), Regulations, 2002.
- Senior Secondary (or its equivalent) with at least 50% marks and passed or appearing in final year of 4- year Bachelor of Elementary Education (B.El.Ed). OR
- Senior Secondary (or its equivalent) with at least 50% marks and passed or appearing in final year of 2- year Diploma in Education (Special Education)* OR
- Graduation and passed or appearing in final year of two-year Diploma in Elementary Education.