The 39th Jamnalal Bajaj Foundation Awards for the year 2016 were conferred on 7 November 2016 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Well-known Gandhian and President of Tunisia's Ennahdha Party, Sheikh Rached Ghannouchi was among the four prominent personalities conferred with the prestigious award.
The other recipients of the awards are:
• Mohan Hirabai Hiralal, founder and convenor of Vrikshamitra: He was honoured for outstanding contribution in the field of Constructive Work. He worked for village empowerment in Menda Lekha in Gadchiroli, which became the first village in India to exercise community rights to harvest bamboo under the Forest Rights Act.
• BonBehari Vishnu Nimbkar, founder of Nimbkar Agricultural Research Institute: He was presented the award for application of science and technology for rural development.
• Dr. Nannapaneni Manga Devi, founder secretary of Sri Venkateswara Bala Kuteer and Chetana Charitable Trust: He was honoured with the award for development and welfare of women and children.
About Jamnalal Bajaj Foundation Awards
• Jamnalal Bajaj Award is an Indian award, for promoting Gandhian values, community service and social development.
• It was established in 1978 by the Jamnalal Bajaj Foundation of Bajaj Group.
• It is given annually in four categories: Constructive Work, Application of Science and Technology for Rural development, Outstanding contribution for the Development and Welfare of Women and Children, and International Award for promoting Gandhian values outside India.
• Each category carries a cash prize of 10 lakh rupees, a citation and a trophy.
When: 7 November 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.