Tata on 8 November 2016 announced that Tata Literature Live! Lifetime Achievement Award for 2016 will be conferred on acclaimed author Amitav Ghosh.
The award will be presented to Ghosh at Tata Literature Live!’s annual awards ceremony to be held on 20 November 2016 at the National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA), Nariman Point, Mumbai.
About Amitav Ghosh
• Amitav Ghosh is an Indian-American author best known for his work in English fiction.
• He was educated at the all-boys The Doon School where he edited The Doon School Weekly. His contemporaries at Doon included author Vikram Seth and Ram Guha.
• He received degrees from St. Stephen's College, Delhi University, and Delhi School of Economics.
• He then won the Inlaks Foundation scholarship to complete a D. Phil. in social anthropology at St Edmund Hall, Oxford, under the supervision of Peter Lienhardt.
• In 1986, he wrote his debut novel titled The Circle of Reason.
• His other famous works in fiction are The Shadow Lines, The Calcutta Chromosome, The Glass Palace, The Hungry Tide, Sea of Poppies, among others.
• His notable non-fiction writings are In an Antique Land, Dancing in Cambodia and at Large in Burma, Countdown, and The Imam and the Indian.
• His book The Circle of Reason won the Prix Medicis etranger, one of France's top literary awards.
• The Shadow Lines won the Sahitya Akademi Award and the Ananda Puraskar.
• Sea of Poppies was shortlisted for the 2008 Man Booker Prize.
• The Government of India awarded him the civilian honour of Padma Shri in 2007.
About Tata Literature Live!
• The award has been instituted by the festival to recognise and honour outstanding contributions in the Indian literary space.
• Past recipients of the award include legendary writers Kiran Nagarkar in 2015, MT Vasudevan Nair in 2014, Khushwant Singh in 2013, Sir VS Naipaul in 2012 and Mahasweta Devi in 2011.
• Since its inception, Tata Literature Live! The Mumbai LitFest has instituted awards to honour achievements by Indian writers, both emerging and accomplished.
Who: Amitav Ghosh