Andhra Pradesh on 2 March 2017 decided to rename Gannavaram Airport as NTR Amaravati Airport and Tirupati Airport as Sri Venkateswara Airport.
The decision was taken by the State Cabinet, which met under the chairmanship of Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu, in Amaravati.
A proposal for renaming the airports would now be sent to the Union Government for approval.
In addition, the State Cabinet also accepted the Andhra Pradesh Maritime Board Draft Bill. The board works in the place of Andhra Pradesh Port department.
The Cabinet also decided to float new liquor policy by introducing amendments in the Assembly, which would be meeting from 6 March 2017 at the newly inaugurated Assembly building.
The State Cabinet also gave green signal to 600 acre land allocation for Bhogapuram Airport and 75 acres for Savita University in Amaravati.
About Tirupati Airport
• Tirupati Airport is a public airport located at Renigunta in Andhra Pradesh.
• The airport is located 14 km away from Tirupati and 39 km from Venkateswara Temple, Tirumala.
• It was established in 1976.
• P. V. Narasimha Rao had laid the foundation stone for a new terminal building, run way expansion and a radio tower in 1993.
• The upgraded airport was inaugurated for passenger traffic in 1999 by Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the then Prime Minister of India.
When: 2 March 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.