Anuradha Roy won 2016 DSC Prize for Sleeping on Jupiter
The DSC Prize for South Asian Literature is a literary prize awarded annually to writers of any ethnicity or nationality writing about South Asia with themes such as culture, politics, history or people.
Indian author Anuradha Roy on 16 January 2016 won the prestigious DSC Prize for South Asian Literature for her novel Sleeping on Jupiter at the Galle Literary Festival in Sri Lanka.
Roy was awarded the prize and a unique trophy by Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe.
The six shortlisted authors in contention for the prestigious prize were:
• UK-based Indian-origin author Akhil Sharma for Family Life
• KR Meera's Hangwoman (Translated by J Devika)
• Mirza Waheed's The Book of Gold Leaves
• Neel Mukherjee's The Lives of Others
• Raj Kamal Jha for She Will Build Him A City
Who is Anuradha Roy?
• Roy is an award-winning Indian novelist, journalist and editor.
• She did her schooling at South Point School, Kolkata followed by St Thomas School, Kidderpore.
• She studied English Literature at Presidency College, Calcutta and Cambridge University.
• She is the co-founder of Permanent Black, a publishing house started in 2000.
• Her first novel, An Atlas of Impossible Longing has been translated into fifteen languages across the world. It was named by World Literature Today as one of the 60 Essential English Language Works of Modern Indian Literature.
About DSC Prize for South Asian Literature
• The DSC Prize for South Asian Literature is a literary prize awarded annually to writers of any ethnicity or nationality writing about South Asia with themes such as culture, politics, history or people.
• The prize was instituted by DSC Limited, an Indian infrastructure and construction company.
• It is for an original full-length novel written in English, or translated into English.
• The winner of the prize receives 2800000 rupees (about 50000 US dollars).
• In 2015, Jhumpa Lahiri won the prize for her novel The Lowland. Cyrus Mistry won it for Chronicle of a Corpse Bearer in 2014.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App