2016 BRICS Youth Summit held with theme Youth as bridge for Intra-BRICS Exchanges
The three day summit ended with certain recommendations on Skills Development & Entrepreneurship, Social Inclusion, Youth Volunteerism and youth participation in Governance.
The 2016 BRICS Youth Summit held in Guwahati, Assam concluded on 3 July 2016. The theme of the 2nd youth summit that started on 1 July 2016 was “Youth as bridge for Intra-BRICS Exchanges”.
The three day summit saw participation of officials and youth of the delegation from BRICS nations, namely Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
The summit concluded with certain recommendations and they are
Recommendations for Skills Development & Entrepreneurship
• Create and strengthen apprenticeship programmes in the existing BRICS institutions
• Document and disseminate success stories among the BRICS nations
• Facilitate transfer of skills between mentors and mentees among the BRICS nations
• Ensure access to decent jobs for youth across the BRICS nations
• Promote and replicate the Know About Business (KAB) entrepreneurship programme within the BRICS nations
• Provide training to Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) on business development services, business plans and website development
• Create and promote regular expositions of young people and youth entrepreneurs to facilitate exchange of best practices, new technologies and seek financial support
Recommendations for Social Inclusion
• Social inclusion is a cross-cutting concern within the BRICS nations. Initiatives must, therefore, prioritise marginalised and vulnerable young people to ensure access to education, healthcare, including reproductive health and social protection services.
• Initiate capacity building programmes for professionals who work with young people in the BRICS nations.
• Create a BRICS Social Science Youth Research Network.
Recommendations for Youth Volunteerism
In order to raise the value of youth volunteering:
• Facilitate cross-learning to access opportunities for leadership development.
• Accredit and recognise youth volunteer programmes for acceptance across the BRICS nations.
• Establish online platforms to highlight best practices, opportunities and recognise good work.
In order to promote exchanges on volunteerism among the BRICS nations through structured volunteering and civic service projects:
• Design and facilitate volunteer exchange programmes with a unified set of standards.
• Provide volunteers with opportunities to have mutually enriching learning experiences including internships with official institutions.
• Develop capacities of professionals managing volunteer programmes.
Recommendations for youth participation in Governance
• In order to create and systematise a road map for youth exchange programmes between the BRICS nations, promote model of BRICS Summer School in respective countries and offer opportunities for youth to participate.
• Coordinate existing and create new opportunities for youth participation in governance and decision making.
• Facilitate the capacities and participation of youth in public policy, programme formulation and monitoring & evaluation.
• Advocate for incorporation of lessons on public policy, governance and civic engagement in school curricula.
• Explore the possibility of creating a BRICS Youth Council (BYC) with a minimum of two thirds representation of youth.
Means of Implementation
• Appeal to the New Development Bank to provide financial support for youth initiatives as proposed by the BRICS nations.
• Design and facilitate exchange programmes in the four thematic areas.
• Establish the BRICS Youth Secretariat initially in virtual form, consisting of one government official and one youth representative from each nation to ensure the realisation of youth initiatives agreed upon at the BRICS Youth Summits.
• Create an online platform to share best practices and opportunities.
• Report on the progress made at the next BRICS Youth Sum.
The 1st BRICS Youth Summit was held in Kazan, Russia in 2015.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App