China on 15 May 2016 launched the Yagoan-30 remote sensing satellite. It was placed in the sun-synchronous orbit (SSO) by using the Long March 2-D rocket.
The satellite was launched from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center located in Gobi desert in northwest China’s Gansu Province.
Features of Yaogan-30 satellite
• It will be used for scientific experiments, land survey, crop yield assessment and disaster monitoring.
• It has high resolution optical sensors that have a resolution of between one to three meters.
• The satellite was placed in the SSO so that it provides favorable illumination for the imaging missions.
• It has two deployable solar arrays along with batteries. It uses the CAST-2000 platform, which has a dry mass of about one metric ton.
• The first satellite in the Yaogan series, Yaogan-1, was launched in 2006.
Features of Long March 2-D rocket
• It was the 227th mission for the Long March rocket family.
• Long March 2-D is a two-stage rocket developed by the Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology.
• The rocket is mainly used for launching satellites into Low Earth Orbit (LEO) and SSO. It can launch up to 1300 kg cargo in a 645 km SSO.
• It is characterized by high reliability, wide application and mature technology.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
What: Launched by China
When: 15 May 2016