Current Affairs in Short: 04 September 2019
Lashkar-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Saeed, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar have been declared 'individual terrorists' by the government.
Masood Azhar, Masood Azhar declared terrorists under new law
• Lashkar-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Saeed, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar have been declared 'individual terrorists' by the government.
• They were declared terrorist about a month after Parliament amended the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967.
• The newly amended act provides for putting a travel ban on individuals declared as terrorists.
Congress appoints Kumari Selja as HPCC chief
• Congress appointed Rajya Sabha MP Kumari Selja as President of the state unit and also named former chief minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda as Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader.
• Selja will replace Ashok Tanwar as HPCC chief. Bhupinder Singh Hooda has also been given the responsibility of Chairman of the State Election Committee.
• Bhupinder Singh Hooda had also set up a 33-member committee which comprises 13 MLAs and other leaders. Haryana has a 90-member assembly which is scheduled to go to polls in October this year.
Ashok Leyland Gets BS-VI Certification
• Ashok Leyland has become the first Indian company which has upgraded all its heavy-duty trucks with BS-VI certification.
• Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) has given compliance certificates to the Ashok Leyland, a flagship company of Hinduja Group.
• Ashok Leyland has developed an entirely new modular vehicle platform for this range and is confident of meeting the increasingly dynamic customer needs.
CEC Sunil Arora becomes AWEB Chairman
• Sunil Arora (Chief Election Commissioner) assumed Chairmanship of Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB) for the term 2019-21.
• Association of World Election Bodies is a multilateral platform for election management bodies from across the world to share best electoral practices.
• This organization was established in October 2013 and has been empowering democratic framework of member countries since then.