Current Affairs in Short: 13 May 2019
The Islamic State terror group has claimed to have established a new province in India called, ‘Wilayah of Hind’.
Mumbai Indians beat CSK to win record 4th IPL title
• Mumbai Indians defeated Chennai Super Kings by one run in a thrilling final in Hyderabad yesterday to become the IPL champions for the record fourth time.
• The CSK, who were chasing a score of 150 set by Mumbai Indians, were restricted to 148 for 7 in the stipulated 20 overs.
• While CSK captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the most successful wicket-keeper in the history of IPL with 132 dismissals, the team’s spinner Imran Tahir won the coveted Purple Cap for taking the highest number of wickets.
Netflix, Amazon Prime under regulation threat as SC issues notice to Centre
• The Supreme Court has issued a notice to the Centre on a plea seeking guidelines to regulate the functioning of online media streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Hotstar.
• The petition, filed by NGO Justice for Rights Foundation, alleged that the online media streaming platforms show "uncertified, sexually explicit and vulgar" content.
• The same plea was dismissed earlier by the Delhi High Court on February 8, 2019.
Sri Lanka blocks social media platforms after attack on mosques
• Sri Lanka has temporarily blocked several social media sites, following attacks on mosques and business establishments of Muslim community yesterday.
• An overnight curfew was imposed in several areas, around 80 km north of Colombo, as mobs gathered to target the community in the wake of the terrorist attacks on Easter Sunday.
• The curfew has been lifted since morning and the situation is under control.
Home Ministry cancels registration of Infosys Foundation
• The Union Home Ministry has terminated the registration of NGO Infosys Foundation for allegedly violating the norms in receiving of foreign grants.
• Under the Ministry’s rules, all non-governmental organizations have to mandatorily register under the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act to receive funding.
• The Ministry had served a show cause notice to Infosys Foundation in 2018 for failing to submit its annual income and expenditure statement of funding received from foreign sources up to six years.
• According to FCRA guidelines, registered organizations are required to submit an online annual report electronically with scanned copies of income and expenditure statement, receipts and payment account, balance sheet for every financial year within nine months of the closure of the financial year.
Nearly 300 yaks starve to death in North Sikkim
• Nearly 300 yaks have died due to starvation following heavy snowfall in North Sikkim district since late last year. The death was confirmed by North Sikkim District Magistrate Raj Yadav.
• The deaths occurred due to starvation during heavy snow fall in Mukuthang and Yumthang regions since December 2018.
• While carcasses of around 250 yaks were found in Mukuthang region, 50 yak carcasses were found in Yumthang recently.
• The dead yaks had apparently got nothing to eat during the prolonged period of snowfall since December 2018. The yaks belonged to 15 families in Mukuthang and 10 families in Yumthang, he said.
Ayush Ministry's new advisory bars non-AYUSH scientists from researching on AYUSH drugs
• The Union Ministry of AYUSH recently issued an advisory barring non-AYUSH scientists from undertaking any research work on AYUSH drugs and treatments. The decision has shaken up the Indian research community.
• The advisory virtually bars non-AYUSH scientists from undertaking any research work on AYUSH drugs and treatments.
• It also bars editors of scientific and medical journals from publishing the work of non-AYUSH researchers whose findings may cause"damage to the image of traditional healthcare systems".
US issues new warning after 'sabotage' of boats off UAE coast
• The United States has issued a new warning to maritime traffic over sabotaging of ships off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, amidst heightening tensions between the US and Iran.
• The UAE stated on May 12 that the sabotage targeted four boats, without elaborating or naming suspects.
• The announcement came few hours after Iranian and Lebanese media outlets aired false reports of explosions at the nearby Emirati port in Fujairah, which bunkers and ships oil.
ISIS announces new province in India
• The Islamic State terror group has claimed to have established a new province in India called, ‘Wilayah of Hind’.
• The announcement comes after clashes between militants and security forces in Kashmir on May 10.
• The new province is being seen as a part of ISIS' strategy to give the impression of strengthening its global affiliations following its territorial loss in the Middle East.