WhatsApp limits message forwarding to 5 chats in India to check rumours, fake news
• Under pressure to stop rumours and fake news triggering horrific lynching incidents, WhatsApp on July 20, 2018 announced to limit forwarding messages to five chats at once.
• It will remove the quick forward button next to media messages.
• Whatsapp had earlier this month launched a ‘forward label’ to identify messages which are not original and have been forwarded.
• More than 20 people have been killed by mobs in the past two months across the country after being accused of child kidnapping and other crimes in viral messages circulated on WhatsApp.
• The decision came after the Ministry of Electronics & IT had written to Whatsapp to take immediate steps to tackle the menace of misuse of their platform wherein inflammatory messages were circulated that led to unfortunate incidents.
TN government sets up 24-hour helpline for inter-caste couples
• The Tamil Nadu government informed the Madras High Court that a 24-hour helpline has been set up to investigate issues faced by inter-caste couples and offer them necessary assistance and protection.
• A special cell has been formed in all districts and cities in the state, comprising district-level officers such as superintendent of police and deputy commissioner of police at the city level, to receive complaints of harassment and threat to inter-caste couples.
• There is an online complaint registration facility in both the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network and Systems.
• The complaints can be sent to the jurisdictional police station online.
India, US to hold first ‘2+2 dialogue’ on September 6: US State Department
• The inaugural ‘two-plus-two dialogue’ between India and the US will be held on September 6, 2018 in New Delhi. The announcement was made by the US State Department.
• The US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defence Secretary James Mattis will attend the dialogue.
• Last month, the US had postponed the much-awaited dialogue due to “unavoidable reasons.”
• The dialogue was announced in 2017 during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s meeting with President Donald Trump at the White House.
• After June 2017, the two countries have tried to schedule the dialogue many times with several dates having been considered.
Turkey lifts state of emergency after 2 years
• In Turkey, the state of emergency came to an end on July 19, 2018.
• The emergency was imposed in the country after a failed coup two years ago.
• President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared emergency on July 20, 2016, five days after warplanes bombed Ankara and clashes broke out in Istanbul that claimed 249 lives.
• Under Turkey’s constitution, emergency provision lasts three months which can be extended seven times.
10th edition of Delhi Dialogue held in New Delhi
• The 10th edition of the Delhi Dialogue began in New Delhi.
• The theme of the event was ‘Strengthening India-ASEAN Maritime Co-operation’.
• Political leadership, officials, diplomats, business leaders, think-tanks and academicians from India and the ASEAN Member States participated in Event.
• The ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) is a group of 10 nations headed by the General Secretary Lim Jock Hoi.
India’s first 'Two-Wheeler Mode' in Google Maps expands to Asia
• The two-wheeler mode in Google Maps that first arrived in India in 2017 has now been extended to Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
• To be first available for Android users, the motorcycle-specific navigation will help bikers find the most suitable routes in these countries.
• In December 2017, Google incorporated navigation routes for two-wheelers with Voice Assistant capabilities in its Maps feature in India.
• The new travel mode in Google Maps is seen alongside Drive, Train or Bus and Walk alternatives.
• The two-wheeler mode in Maps shows trip routes that use "shortcuts" not accessible to cars and trucks. It also provides customised traffic and arrival time estimations.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports