Current Affairs in Short: 28 September 2018
The United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said that the international sanctions on North Korea must remain and be vigorously enforced if diplomatic efforts at its denuclearisation are to succeed - a position facing resistance from China and Russia.
World Rabies Day observed across the world
• The World Rabies Day was observed across the globe on September 28, 2018. The day is celebrated annually to raise awareness about rabies prevention and to highlight progress in defeating the disease.
• The theme of the day for the year 2018 is 'Rabies: Share the message. Save a life'. The theme highlights the importance of education and awareness to prevent rabies.
• Overall, the international day provides a platform to improve awareness, engage communities and help endemic countries in building successful and sustainable rabies programmes.
• The day also marks the anniversary of Louis Pasteur's death, the French chemist and microbiologist, who developed the first rabies vaccine.
Bio-control agents can help double income of farmer: Director General of ICAR
• According to the Director General of ICAR, Trilochan Mohapatra, bio-control agents can help realise the target of doubling the income of farmers in India. He was speaking at the inauguration of first international Conference on Biological controls in Bengaluru on September 27, 2018.
• Mohapatra said that the farmers need simple remedies to control pests and diseases that could save input costs in agriculture and biological controls can be one such remedy.
• He said up to 30 per cent of agricultural yields are affected by pests and diseases despite intensive chemical pesticide use. Biological control of insect pests and diseases is one of the major ecosystem services provided to agriculture worldwide.
US to keep North Korea sanctions despite progress
• The United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on September 27, 2018 said that the world stands at the "dawn of a new day" in relations with North Korea. However, he added, international sanctions must remain and be vigorously enforced if diplomatic efforts at its denuclearisation are to succeed - a position facing resistance from China and Russia.
• Chairing a special session of the UN Security Council, Pompeo said President Donald Trump's diplomatic breakthrough with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has led to a point where the nuclear threat from the country can be resolved.
• He added that the US has evidence that certain sanctions were being violated, and demanded that UN members must ensure sanctions are respected.
• China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi agreed that the sanctions "remain valid," but said the resolutions provide for their modification based on North Korea's compliance. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov also said that certain sanctions, unrelated to the nuclear program, should be eased.
Uber pays 148m over data breach cover-up
• Ride-hailing firm Uber is paying 148 million dollars to settle legal action over a cyber-attack that exposed data from 57 million customers and drivers.
• The massive data breach happened in 2016 but Uber sought to hide it from regulators. The company paid the hackers behind the intrusion 100,000 dollar to the data they grabbed from Uber's cloud servers.
• The payment settles action brought by the US government and 50 states over Uber's failure to disclose details of the data loss.
• Uber revealed some information about the breach in November 2017 and admitted that it should have been more open about the attack.
• The personal data from 57 million Uber accounts also included information about 600,000 driving licence numbers.
IT Minister launches Centre of Excellence for Data Analytics (CEDA)
• Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad on September 28, 2018 launched Centre of Excellence for Data Analytics (CEDA) in New Delhi.
• The technology backbone of the government – the National Informatics Centre (NIC), in a joint initiative with National Informatics Centre Services Incorporated (NICSI) has set up the CEDA.
• The CEDA will aid in fast-tracking the adoption of advanced analytics in government.
• It has been created to support government departments to unlock the hidden potential of the data that they are generating as a part of the governance processes, and use it to improve the overall governance. It will provide world class data analytics services to the Government.
PM inaugurates Conference on Academic Leadership on Education for Resurgence
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Conference on Academic Leadership on Education for Resurgence on September 29, 2018 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
• The event saw participation from the Vice-Chancellors and Directors from more than 350 universities. This event is being organized jointly by UGC, AICTE, ICSSR, IGNCA, IGNOU, JNU and SGT University.
• The theme of the Conference is to deliberate on the challenges facing the Indian education system and to work out a plan for a paradigm shift both in terms of achieving academic outcomes and also in regulation of education.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week