Current Affairs in Short: 30 August 2019
Chandrayaan-2 will undergo its fourth lunar orbit manoeuvring today.
HRD directs UGC to set up panel to inquire into allegations of varsities selling fake degrees
• The HRD Ministry, directed the UGC to constitute a high-level committee to inquire into allegations of sale of fake degrees by certain universities.
• The steps were taken after media reports alleging that a racket prevailed in several parts of the country where agents would claim to arrange degrees of recognised universities.
• The committee is required to complete its enquiry within three weeks and identify institutions and individuals that have resorted to such illegal practices.
Fourth orbital manoeuver for Chandrayaan-2
• Chandrayaan-2 will undergo its fourth lunar orbit manoeuvring today. It will be aimed at reducing the farthest distance of the lunar craft from the surface of the moon.
• The mission would be carried out by the scientists and engineers of the national space agency ISRO this evening.
• ISRO scientists say the path would be the most suited to separate the lander called Vikram from the orbiter of Chandrayaan-2 on September 2.
Bihar Government bans Pan Masala containing magnesium carbonate
• The Bihar Government has taken another strict decision after the liquor ban. The state government has banned the manufacture, storage, distribution, transportation or sale of pan masala containing magnesium carbonate.
• The food and safety department of the State Government had found that pan masala contains magnesium carbonate which could cause heart disease. Govt. agencies have taken a decision after examining various samples.
• The brands which were examined by the food and safety department were Pan Parag Pan Masala, Raj Niwas Pan Masala, Bahar Pan Masala, Kamala likes include Pan Masala, Rajshree Pan Masala, Signature Pan Masala, Rajnigandha Pan Masala, Supreme Pan Parag Pan Masala, Bahubali Pan Masala, Raunak Pan Masala, Madhu Pan Masala.
Pradeep Kumar Sinha appointed OSD in PMO
• Former cabinet secretary Pradeep Kumar Sinha, a 1977 batch Uttar Pradesh-cadre IAS officer, appointed the officer on special duty (OSD) in the Prime Minister’s Office.
• Nripendra Misra, principal secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has expressed his intention to be relieved.
• The resignation of Nripendra Misra comes at a time when India’s GDP growth slowed down to more than a five-year low of 5% in the June quarter of 2019-20 against 5.8% in the March quarter.
Abhishek wins Gold, Saurabh bags Bronze at ISSF World Cup
• India’s ace player Abhishek Verma won the gold while teen sensation Saurabh Chaudhary claimed the bronze as Indian shooters dominated the podium in the men's 10-metre air pistol event of the ongoing ISSF World Cup In Rio De Janeiro.
• Abhishek Verma, shot 244.2 in the eight-man final yesterday, while the 17-year-old Chaudhary's 221.9 claimed the bronze after five gold medals this year.
• Sanjeev Rajput claimed silver in the men's 50-metre rifle 3 positions final to secure an Olympic quota for India.