Current Affairs in Short: 6 February 2019
The government allowed export of bio-fuels from Special Economic Zones (SEZs) and export-oriented units (EoUs) with certain conditions. In August 2018, the government imposed restrictions on export of bio-fuels for non-fuel purposes.
‘Church of Saint Francis’ & ‘Mosque of Grand Imam Ahmad Al-Tayyeb’ to be constructed in Abu Dhabi
• UAE leaders on Monday announced the construction of the “Church of Saint Francis” and ‘Mosque of Grand Imam Ahmad Al-Tayyeb’ in Abu Dhabi in honour of the two religious leaders.
• They will serve as beacons to uphold the values of tolerance, moral integrity and human fraternity in the UAE.
• UAE had also granted 55000 square meters of land for the construction of a Hindu Temple in Abu Dhabi, the ground breaking ceremony of which was witnessed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi by a live telecast in February 2018.
Maharashtra government sets up Committee to review welfare schemes for tribals
• The Maharashtra government constituted a committee to review various schemes being implemented for the welfare of tribals in the state.
• The 17-member committee will be headed by former MLA and Shramjeevi Sanghatna President, Vivek Pandit.
• It will undertake the study of various works done for providing employment opportunities, minimum wages and proper livelihood to tribals.
• It will suggest measures to ensure that children in tribal regions were not deprived of education.
• It will hold its meetings every three months and submit its recommendations to the government.
Kerala becomes first state to set up Price Monitoring and Research Unit
• Kerala became the first State to set up a Price Monitoring and Research Unit (PMRU) to track violation of prices of essential drugs and medical devices under the Drugs Price Control Order (DPCO).
• The move comes more than five years after the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) proposed such a system for the States and the Union Territories.
• It would provide technical help to the state drug controllers.
• It will help the NPPA to monitor notified prices of medicines, detect violation of the provisions of the DPCO, look at price compliance, collect test samples of drugs, and collect and compile market-based data of scheduled as well as non-scheduled formulations.
Shivaji statue to be in equestrian pose: Official
• The proposed statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in the Arabian Sea off the Mumbai coast will be in the classic equestrian pose synonymous with the Maratha warrior king, as per a top official.
• There is no plan to change the design or pose of the statue, as speculated in some quarters.
• Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj will be shown in his famous pose mounted on a horse flourishing a sword.
• The project is expected to give an edge to the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party-Shiv Sena combine ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha and Maharashtra Assembly elections.
• Earlier in December 2016, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had gone in a boat and performed a puja in the sea symbolising the foundation stone laying for the project.
Air India CMD Pradeep Singh Kharola appointed as Civil Aviation Secretary
• Air India Chief Pradeep Singh Kharola was appointed as the Civil Aviation Secretary as part of a minor bureaucratic reshuffle.
• Kharola, a 1985 batch IAS officer of Karnataka cadre, was in November 2017 named as the Chairman and Managing Director of Air India Ltd.
• The post of the Civil Aviation Secretary was vacant due to the superannuation of Rajiv Nayan Choubey on January 31, 2019.
• Choubey took over as Member in the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
Government allows export of bio-fuels from special economic zones, EoUs
• The government allowed export of bio-fuels from Special Economic Zones (SEZs) and export-oriented units (EoUs) with certain conditions.
• In August 2018, the government imposed restrictions on export of bio-fuels for non-fuel purposes.
• After this restriction, exporters operating from SEZs and EoUs made representations to remove this prohibition stating they only use imported material for export of final product.
• They also informed government authorities that SEZ units have been granted letter of approval for export of bio-fuels and EoU units have obligations to fulfil under an export promotion scheme.
• SEZs and EoUs are export-oriented units outside the ambit of domestic customs laws.