Aadhaar Card not mandatory for student enrolment in NEET: SC
• The Supreme Court directed the CBSE not to make Aadhaar number mandatory for enrolment of students appearing in NEET 2018 and other all India exams.
• A five-judge Constitution bench headed by Chief justice Dipak Misra directed the CBSE to upload the information on their website.
• Earlier in the day, UIDAI clarified that it has not authorised CBSE to mandatorily take Aadhaar number of students to get themselves enrolled for appearing in NEET 2018 examination.
'Vision for Future' event marks 70 years of Indo-Russia ties
• 'Vision for Future' event was held in New Delhi on March 6, 2018 to commemorate 70 years of the Indo-Russia ties.
• The programme was organised by the Ministry of External Affairs (Eurasia Division) and the International Federation of Indo-Russian Youth Clubs.
• As part of the celebrations, International Federation of Indo-Russian Youth Clubs jointly with BRICS International Forum presented a programme 'Vision for Future'.
Michael Bloomberg to launch USD 20 million anti-tobacco watchdog
• Philanthropist Michael Bloomberg announced to spend USD 20 million US dollars to launch an anti-tobacco watchdog to detect and expose deceptive practices by the tobacco industry.
• Bloomberg, an Ambassador for the World Health Organization, said that over the last decade tobacco control measures have saved nearly 35 million lives.
• Bloomberg's charitable organisation accuses the tobacco industry of seeking to legitimise itself for pushing cigarette alternatives for which the health care remains uncertain.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Partial withdrawal under National Pension Scheme
• The Pension Fund Regulatory Development Authority (PFRDA) has relaxed the norms for partial withdrawal under the National Pension Scheme (NPS).
• The subscriber need to be subscribed to NPS for a period of three years from the date of joining to be eligible to make partial withdrawals, under specific circumstances as specified in such regulations.
• The NPS subscribers can withdraw a maximum of three times during the entire tenure of subscription under NPS, but the partial withdrawal is linked with contributions made by the subscriber.
Railways Ministry instructs Zonal Railways to link arrival & departure of trains with Data Loggers
• Railways Ministry have eliminated the practice of manually recording punctuality performance at 41 major railway junctions across zones to ensure correct reporting.
• The Railway Board has instructed zonal railways to link the arrival and departure of trains with data loggers from January 1, 2018 and report authentic punctuality status.
• A data logger is an electronic device that records data over time by sensing status of relays. Railway zones have provided such data loggers this across 41 stations.
Researchers develop thermoelectric compound ‘AgCuTe’
• A team of researchers has developed a novel compound that exhibits poor thermal conductivity in the 25-425 degree C range, but shows good electrical conductivity.
• The new thermoelectric compound is named Silver Copper Telluride (AgCuTe).
• AgCuTe exhibits good thermoelectric property with both glass- and metal-like properties.
WTO to set up compliance panel in solar dispute between India, US
• The WTO has agreed to set up a panel to determine whether India has complied with its ruling in a case against the United States regarding domestic content requirements for solar cells and modules.
• In 2016, New Delhi had lost a case against the US at the World Trade Organisation (WTO) after the global trade body stated that power purchase agreements signed by the Indian government with solar firms for its National Solar Mission did not meet international trade norms.
• The US, which is of the opinion that New Delhi continues to apply the "WTO-inconsistent measures", in December 2017 approached WTO demanding action against India for non-compliance of the WTO ruling.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.