Current Affairs Quiz: 7 January 2020
The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Sabarimala review petitions, new Jharkhand Assembly speaker and Australia’s bushfires among others.
7 January 2020: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Sabarimala review petitions, new Jharkhand Assembly speaker and Australia’s bushfires among others.
1. The constitution bench formed to hear pleas seeking review of Supreme Court’s landmark Sabarimala verdict will comprise how many judges?
2. Who has been elected as Jharkhand Assembly Speaker?
a) Ravindra Nath Mahto
b) Arjun Munda
c) Jagarnath Mahto
d) Ramchandra Chandravanshi
3. Which state has launched a new portal to strengthen public participation in the governance process?
d) Himachal Pradesh
4. The Khelo India Youth Games-2020 will officially advocate for which among the following issues?
a) Water conservation
b) Climate emergency
d) Elimination of single-use plastic
5. Which gulf country has approved issuance of 5-Year multi-entry tourist visa for people belonging to all nationalities?
a) Saudi Arabia
6. Which state has decided to insurance coverage of Rs 5 lakh to Ganga Sagar pilgrims?
b) West Bengal
d) Uttar Pradesh
7. What is the name of former Speaker of Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly and senior AIADMK leader who recently passed away?
a) P H Pandian
b) MK Stalin
c) P Dhanpal
d) Rahul Sachdeva
8. Which animal species has been most adversely impacted by Australia's wildfire?
d) Polar Bear
9. India's first Human Space Flight Infrastructure Centre will be established in which state?
10. Which Indian player recently won the Hastings International Chess Congress?
a) YK Joshi
b) P Mangesh Chandran
c) Angad Dev Patel
d) Ramnath Chandrapal
1. (c) Nine
The Supreme Court has constituted a new nine-judge bench to hear pleas seeking review of its previous judgement on the Sabarimala issue. The bench will take up all the review petitions from January 13, 2020.
2. (a) Ravindra Nath Mahto
JMM’s Ravindra Nath Mahto was unanimously elected as the new speaker of Jharkhand Legislative Assembly on January 7, 2020. He was administered the oath of the office by Protem Speaker Stephen Marandi.
3. (d) Himachal Pradesh
The state government of Himachal Pradesh launched Himachal MyGov portal in Shimla on January 7, 2020. The portal has been launched to strengthen public participation in the governance process. It is expected to serve as an innovative platform to build a partnership between the citizens and the government with the help of technology.
4. (d) Elimination of single-use plastic
The third edition of the Khelo India Youth Games-2020 will advocate for the elimination of single-use plastics by emphasizing on responsible use of plastic material and proper collection and disposal of plastic waste. The Khelo India Youth Games-2020 will be held in Guwahati, Assam from January 10-22, 2020.
The cabinet of United Arab Emirates (UAE) has approved the issuance of a five-year multi-entry tourist visa for all people visiting the country. The move aims to boost UAE's tourism economy and affirm its position as a global tourist destination.
6. (b) West Bengal
The West Bengal government has decided to provide insurance coverage of Rs five lakh each to the Ganga Sagar pilgrims. This was announced by West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee. The Chief Minister also announced that the state administration has done all necessary arrangements for drinking water supply and accommodation facilities for the devotees.
7. (a) PH Pandian
PH Pandian, former Speaker of Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly and senior AIADMK leader passed away recently. P H Pandian was a former MLA and MP. He was also the Deputy Speaker of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly between 1980-84 and the Speaker from 1985 to 1989. He was also a senior leader of the AIADMK.
8. (b) Koala
It is believed that fifty percent Koalas have been killed in Australia’s Wildfires. Koala is an arboreal herbivorous marsupial native to Australia. The forests of Australia have been burning for the last four months and about 50 crore wild animals have been killed.
9. (d) Karnataka
Human Space Flight Infrastructure Centre will be established by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) in Challakere, Karnataka. This training center will be constructed in 400 acres at a cost of Rs 2700 crore.
10. (b) P Mangesh Chandran
India's P. Mangesh Chandran has won the prestigious 95th Hastings International Chess Congress title in Hastings, England. He defeated India's Grandmaster Deep Sengupta in the eighth round.