DRDO successfully test fired New Tank Ammunition for Arjun MBT
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test fired the new Penetration-Cum Blast (PCB) and Thermobaric (TB) Ammunition tank at Chandipur, Odisha.
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on 6 January 2016 successfully test fired the new Penetration-Cum Blast (PCB) and Thermobaric (TB) Ammunition tank at Chandipur, Odisha. This was specially designed for Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT).
The trials were conducted jointly with Army and were aimed to demonstrate the effectiveness of the ammunitions on derelict tank fitted with instrumentation to measure the shocks, blast pressure and temperature at various locations and on advanced imaging systems.
The trials were very effective and the damage was devastated with the firing of ammunition successfully destroying the target tank and severely damaging its turret, barrel, tracks, ammunition bin, various sights, antennas etc.
The trials were unique as for the first time such evaluation was carried out in India which gave a quantum jump in the fire-power of Arjun tanks.
About The New Ammunition Tank:
• The ammunitions was developed by Pune based DRDO laboratories Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) and High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL).
• An innovative chemical composition was developed by HEMRL after extensive research for the TB ammunition.
• During the development phase, these ammunitions were evaluated against different simulated targets which are armour plates, concrete structures and fortifications.
About Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)
A state-of-the-art weapon and ammunition system was developed by the DRDO for the Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) by adopting novel design concepts and latest technological advancement at par with the industrially advanced countries.
The system is capable of destroying modern heavy targets up to a range of 5000 metres.
All aspects leading to ergonomics, product reliability, maintenance, ease of operation, and futuristic performance enhancement have been incorporated in the design of the system.
The following indigenous technologies have been developed and established during the course of the system development.
• Electro slag refined (ESR) steel for gun barrels
• Partial length autofrettaging of gun barrels
• High pressure packing rings for recoil system
• Tungsten alloy penetrators
• Fin stabilised kinetic energy shot
• Special alloy steel obturating cups for cartridge cases
• Semi-combustible cartridge case and primer.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App