Fact Box: Presidential Elections in India
The election of the President is held in accordance with Single Transferable Vote system and the voting at such election is by secret ballot.
14th Presidential Elections of India began on 17 July 2017 across the country and the counting of votes will begin on 20 July 2017. The post of President is being contested by National Democratic Alliance (NDA) nominee Ram Nath Kovind and candidate of several major opposition parties Meira Kumar.
• Article 52 of the Indian Constitution provides for the office of President.
• Article 54 provides for the election of President who is indirectly elected by an Electoral College.
• The Electoral College comprises the MPs and MLAs, the elected representatives that form the government after being elected by citizens of country in state assembly and national elections.
• It is these elected representatives who then vote for the President.
• Nominated members of state assemblies and the two Houses are not allowed to participate in the Presidential Elections.
• Article 55 provides for the manner of election of the President.
• It provides that there shall be uniformity in the scale of representation of the different States at the election of the President.
• All MPs and MLAs have a certain number of votes.
• For the MLA, the number is decided by the total population of the state divided by the number of elected members to the legislative assembly, further divided by 1000.
• The value of the vote of an MP is decided by dividing the total value of votes of all MLAs of the country, divided by the total number of elected MPs in Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha.
• The total value of the state vote is calculated by multiplying the value of vote of one MLA with the total number of elected MLAs.
• The population data is taken from the 1971 census. This census will be used until 2026.
• A candidate needs to secure 50 per cent of the valid votes polled plus 1 to win.
• The election of the President is held in accordance with Single Transferable Vote system and the voting at such election is by secret ballot.