The fourth generation Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas received its second operational clearance on 20 December 2013 in Bangalore. A k Anthony and Chief Air Marshal Browne attended the occasion.
Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) II of Tejas is to replace the Mig21 fleet of IAF, which was decommissioned on 11 December 2013. The attainment of initial operational clearance is an important milestone towards indigenization through self-reliance and several programs like inclusion of fifth generation of fighter aircrafts.
The Production of Tejas was taken up by Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (HAL) and it would be ready for battle by December 2014.
The salient features of IOC-II include Safe flying up to High angle of Attack as mandated and enhance the combat performance of the aircraft.
The Initial Operational Clearance-I of Tejas was achieved on 10 Jan 2011.
• India indigenously designed and developed frontline fighter Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) was christened Tejas.
• Tejas is the smallest, light weight, single engine, single seat and supersonic, multirole, combat aircraft. LCA Tejas is capable of flying non-stop to destinations over 1700 km away.
• The advanced Glass cockpit open architecture system complements piloting. Four variants of Tejas aircraft (Combat variant, Trainer and Naval variants) are being developed for land and carrier borne operations.
• Tejas has multi mode weapon multirole capability that is Air to Ground and Air to Air missions are demonstrated by dropping Laser Guided Bombs and R735E firing in single pass.
• Tejas has quadruplex digital fly-by-wire flight system which ensures adequate safety and advanced Glass cockpit open architecture complements piloting
• Extensive use of advanced composites in the airframe gives a high strength to weight ratio, long fatigue life and low radar signatures. Helmet Mounted Display Sight (HMDS) has been fully integrated in Tejas and R73E missile firing has been successfully demonstrated using HMDS
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
Who: LAC Tejas
When: 18 December 2013