Union Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu on August 2, 2018 launched the tricolour logo and a tagline for Geographical Indication (GI) certified products.
The logo has tagline “Invaluable Treasures of Incredible India” printed below it. The winning logo was designed by Adri Chatterjee and the winning tagline was coined by Akancha Tripathi.
• From now on, GI-registered goods will sport logo and tagline to make them more attractive.
• The GI logo will act as a certifying mark that can be used to identify all registered GIs irrespective of the categories.
• Major airports of the country will have stalls displaying GI and self-help group products.
While launching the logo for India’s GI products, Prabhu said that the logo and tagline were chosen to depict the labour and creativity of artisans from different parts of India. The GI tag will give artisans and the place of origin their rightful share in intellectual property.
The logo and tagline also aim to increase awareness about Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) and also and importance of GI products in the country.
This will promote grass root development and will give a boost to the development of districts for which 6 districts in 5 states have been selected for a pilot project.
GI products may also benefit the rural economy in remote areas, by supplementing the incomes of artisans, farmers, weavers and craftsmen. India’s rural artisans possess unique skills and knowledge of traditional practices and methods, which need to be protected and promoted.
The promotion of GIs is in line with the Government’s ‘Make in India’ campaign.
Earlier, the Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) under the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) on October18, 2017 had launched a Logo and a Tagline Contest for Geographical Indications of India through mygov.in platform.
A total of 918 entries for tagline and slogan and 383 entries for logo were received and the winners of logo and tagline contest were awarded an amount of Rs 50000 each.
What does Geographical Indication imply?
• A Geographical Indication is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
• Such signs convey an assurance of quality and distinctiveness, which is essentially attributable to its origin in that defined geographical locality. Darjeeling Tea, Mahabaleshwar Strawberry, Blue Pottery of Jaipur, Banarasi Sarees, Kangra Paintings, Nagpur Orange, Kashmir Pashmina and Tirupati Laddus are some of the registered GIs in India.
• GIs are of utmost importance to the country as they are an integral part of India’s rich culture and collective intellectual heritage.
• It is an area of strength and optimism for India, whereby the GI tag has accorded protection to a number of hand-made and manufactured products, especially in the informal sector.
• Certain GI products can benefit the rural economy in remote areas, by supplementing the incomes of artisans, farmers, weavers and craftsmen.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider