Grandmaster Parimarjan Negi, the chess player from India won the Denmark's Politiken Cup on 5 July 2013 at Copenhagen, Denmark by gaining 9 out of the total possible 10 points. He defeated the seventh seed, Italian Sabino Brunello in just 31 moves of Ruy Lopez. Earlier, he won the same tournament in 2009.
Parimarjan was the only Indian participant to the Denmark Politiken Cup that featured about 600 players from across the world. He scored eight wins and two draws (with Cheparinov and David Bekker Jensen) in the Open tournament.
This was the second title won by Parimarjan in last three outings, which includes DC International Open and he tied for the top place in the World Open. The performance rating of Parimarjan Negi was 2769 and this would help him to gain about 16-18 valuable ELO points and move past 2660.
Further, he will participate in the World Cup 2013 scheduled to begin on 10 August 2013 at Tromso in Norway.
About the Parimarjan Negi
• He is a chess grandmaster from India
• He won his international master at the Sort International open chess tournament in Sort, Spain
• At the age of 13, in 2006, he became the second-youngest GM ever, second only to Sergey Karjakin, when he earned his third and final GM norm at the Chelyabinsk Region Superfinal Championship at Satka in Russia
• At the Hastings Chess Congress in January 2006, he won his second grand master norm
• He became the youngest Grandmaster in India in July 2006 after drawing with Russian Grandmaster Ruslan Sherbakov and finished with six points from nine rounds of the Chelyabinsk Region Superfinal chess tournament in Satka. He replaced Pendyala Harikrishna as India's youngest ever Grand Master
Ruy Lopez is the Spanish Opening in the game of chess that is characterized by the moves:
1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
The term Ruy Lopez in chess is associated with the name of the Spanish priest Ruy Lopez de Segura of 16th Century. Being one among the few most popular openings, it includes a vast number of variations in the encyclopedia of Chess Openings with all codes from C60 to C99, which is assigned to it.