Hindi scholar and writer Sunita Jain was on 17 August 2016 awarded with the prestigious 25th Vyas Samman 2015 for her poetry collection Kshama. She received the award by West Bengal Governor K N Tripathi.
Jain, through her poetry, portrays the fine emotions between poet Tulsidas and his wife Ratnavalli in Kshama. She has managed to aptly convey the sentiment of forgiveness between Tulsidas and his wife using very fine language.
The award instituted by the K K Birla Foundation carries a cash prize of 2.50 lakh rupees. It is given annually to outstanding literary work in Hindi authored by an Indian citizen.
About Sunita Jain
• She writes in both English and Hindi and has over 100 books to her credit.
• She began to write at the age of 22 and has published short-stories, novels and poems in Hindi and English.
• Her works in English include A Girl of Her Age and two short-story anthologies A Woman is Dead and Eunuch of Time and Other Stories.
• She had also worked as the professor and the Head of the department of Humanities and Social Sciences at the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
• Her book Kshama was published in 2008.
• She was awarded with the Padma Shri in 2004.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App