The Indian cricketer and a Rising Test batsman, Cheteshwar Pujara on 13 December 2013 bagged the Emerging Cricketer of the Year trophy at the ICC Annual awards announced in Dubai. This is the first ever ICC Award for Pujara.
He became the second fastest Indian to score 1000 Test runs during the course of his double hundred against Australia on March at Hyderabad. He put on the board 370-run record second wicket partnership with Murali Vijay. Pujara, the 25 year old cricketer has scored 1310 runs in 15 tests with an average of 65.50.
Apart from Pujara, the Captain of Indian cricket team Mahendra Singh Dhoni was the Indian to win ICC Annual award and he got LG People's Choice Award.
Australian captain Michael Clarke was the winner of the Sir Garfield Sobers trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year and was also named as the ICC Test Cricketer of the Year. In total, there were eleven individual awards. The full list of winners is:
• ICC Cricketer of the Year (Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy) — Michael Clarke (Australia)
• ICC Test Cricketer of the Year — Michael Clarke (Australia)
• ICC Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Year — Suzie Bates (New Zealand)
• ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year — Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka)
• ICC Emerging Cricketer of the Year — Cheteshwar Pujara (India)
• ICC Associate and Affiliate Cricketer of the Year — Kevin O’Brien (Ireland)
• ICC Twenty20 International Performance of the Year — Umar Gul (Pakistan)
• ICC T20I Women’s Cricketer of the Year — Sarah Taylor (England)
• ICC Spirit of Cricket Award — Mahela Jayawardena (Sri Lanka)
• ICC Umpire of the Year (winning the David Shepherd Trophy) — Richard Kettleborough
• LG People’s Choice — MS Dhoni
The award function was hosted by Ricky Ponting, the former Australian Captain. Ponting is the winner of the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy in 2006 and 2007 and was the ICC Test Cricketer of the Year in 2006. Apart from this he was also appointed captain of ICC’s ODI Team of the Year in 2007, 2008 and 2010.
"If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group"
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.