The Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) of the Union Ministry of Earth Sciences on 25 August 2017 inaugurated the Ocean Forecasting System for Comoros, Madagascar and Mozambique.
The system was unveiled at the third Ministerial Meeting of Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Asia and Africa (RIMES). The meeting was held at Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
The INCOIS is already providing these operational services to Maldives, Sri Lanka and Seychelles.
• The Ocean Forecasting System will provide information on high wave, currents, winds, tides, sub-surface ocean conditions.
• The system will cater to users like fishermen, coastal population, tourism sector, coastal defence officials, marine police, port authorities, research institutions and offshore industries of these countries.
• These ocean services are aimed towards safety at the sea.
• The system would also offer oil spill advisory services, high wave alerts, port warnings, forecast along the ship routes in addition to tsunami and storm surge warnings and help in search and rescue operations.
• The ocean forecast and early warning services are most essential for safe navigation and operations at sea and the blue economic growth of many of the Indian Ocean rim countries and Island Nations.
About Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services
• The Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services is an autonomous organization of the Government of India.
• It was established as an autonomous body in 1999 under the Ministry of Earth Sciences and is a unit of the Earth System Science Organization (ESSO).
• It is mandated to provide the best possible ocean information and advisory services to society, industry, government agencies and the scientific community through sustained ocean observations and constant improvements through systematic and focussed research.
When: 25 August 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider