Court, an Indian movie written and directed by Indian writer Chaitanya Tamhane, on 7 September 2014 won the Lion of the Future – Luigi De Laurentiis award for a Debut Feature at the 71st Venice Film Festival. The film that is a multilingual courtroom drama, won the award for its striking narrative style.
With this award, the film won a monetary prize of 100000 US dollars that was donated by Filmauro di Aurelio e Luigi De Laurentiis. This amount should be divided between director and producer.
Court was also was awarded with the Orizzonti award for best film.
Apart from this several other films also won other awards and they were
• Golden Lion for Best Film: A Pigeon sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence (en duva satt på en gren och funderade på tillvaron) by Roy Andersson
• Silver Lion for Best Director: Andrej Koncalovskij for the film the Postman’s White Nights (Belye Nochi Pochtalona Alekseya Tryapitsyna)
• Grand Jury Prize: The Look of Silence by Joshua Oppenheimer
• Coppa Volpi for Best Actor: Adam Driver in the film Hungry Hearts by Saverio Costanzo
• Coppa Volpi for Best Actress: Alba Rohrwacher in the film Hungry Hearts by Saverio Costanzo (Italy)
• Marcello Mastroianni Award for Best Young Actor or Actress: Romain Paul in the film Le Dernier Coup De Marteau by Alix Delaporte
• Award for Best Screenplay: Rakhshan Banietemad and Farid Mostafavi for the film Ghesseha (Tales) by Rakhshan Banietemad
• Special Jury Prize: Sivas by Kaan Mujdeci
List of some Orizzonti Awards
• The Orizzonti Award for Best Director: Naji Abu Nowar for Theeb
• The Special Orizzonti Jury Prize: Belluscone, Una Storia Siciliana by Franco Maresco
• The Special Orizzonti Award for Best Actor or Actress: Emir Hadžihafizbegovic in the film Takva Su Pravila (These are the Rules) by Ognjen Svilicic
• The Orizzonti Award for Best Short Film: Maryam by Sidi Saleh (Indonesia)
• The Venice Short Film Nomination for the European Film Awards 2014: Pat – Lehem (Daily Bread) by Idan Hubel
Other Indian film at the 71st Venice Film Festival was Labour of Love by Aditya Vikram Sengupta that returned back without any award. On the other hand, in 2013 Venice Film Festival, Kush of Shubhashish Bhutiani won the best short.
When: on 7 September 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.