Two Indian-Americans, Adobe Chief Shantanu Narayen and former US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, are among 38 immigrants to be honoured with the Great Immigrants Award.
They will be honoured for their role in helping advance the country's society, culture and economy on 4 July 2017, the Independence Day of the United States of America.
Among other honourees include Canadian-origin social entrepreneur Jeff Skoll, who has been awarded the 2017 Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy, PayPal cofounder of Ukrainian origin Max Levchin, Iranian-origin philanthropist and entrepreneur Hushang Ansary.
About Shantanu Narayen
• Born on 27 May 1963, Shantanu Narayen is an Indian-American business executive and the CEO of Adobe Systems.
• Prior to this, he was the President and Chief Operating Officer since 2005.
• He holds an undergraduate degree in electronics engineering, a master’s degree in computer science, and an MBA from UC Berkeley.
About Vivek Murthy
• Born on 10 July 1977, Vivek Murthy is an American physician and a vice admiral in the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps.
• He served as the 19th Surgeon General of the United States. Appointed by former President Barack Obama in 2014, he was the first-ever Indian-American to occupy the post and also the youngest ever surgeon general of the country.
About Great Immigrants Award
• The award is given annually on the occasion of Independence Day of United States to naturalised citizens of US.
• It is given for their contribution in advancing US’s economy, society, and culture.
• The award was instituted by New York-based Carnegie Corporation in 2006.
• The honourees are recognised with a full-page public service announcement in The New York Times and an online public awareness initiative.
When: Announced in July 2017
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports