IRB Infrastructure Developers Ltd, a Mumbai-based road developer, on 4 January 2016 bagged the 10050 crore Zojila Pass tunnel road project in Jammu and Kashmir. This tunnel project is the country’s biggest road project by cost
The Zojila Pass tunnel will be the longest in South Asia once completed. Presently, Chenani-Nashri tunnel at 9 km is the country’s longest road tunnel.
Highlights of the Project
• The 14.08 km tunnel will provide all-weather connectivity between the Jammu and Kashmir regions with Leh Ladakh, which remain cut off during winters due to heavy snowfall.
• The project’s construction period is seven years and the concession period is 22 years.
• As part of the project, IRB will also build about 10.8 km of approach roads on NH-1 (Srinagar–Sonmarg–Gumri Road) in Jammu and Kashmir.
• The project also involves construction of snow gallery of 700 meters and avalanche protection measures.
• IRB will receive payment of 981 crore rupees once in every six months from the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways after the completion of construction.
Zojila, one of the highest mountain passes in India, is situated at an altitude of 11000 ft between Srinagar in Kashmir and Leh in Ladakh.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Where: Jammu and Kashmir
When: 4 January 2016