Action movie star, writer, director and martial artist Jackie Chan on 12 November 2016 was awarded the honorary Academy (Oscar) Award for his extraordinary achievements in the movies.
With this, Chan became the first Chinese actor in history to receive the prestigious honour.
In September 2016, the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science voted to present the award to Jackie Chan, Anne V Coates, Lynn Stalmaster and Frederick Wiseman. Coates is a British editor; Stalmaster is a Casting Director and Wiseman is a Documentary Maker.
Academy Honorary Award
• The Academy Honorary Award was initiated in 1948 for the 21st Academy Awards.
• The award was previously referred to as the Special Award.
• It is given by the discretion of the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS).
• It is given to commemorate motion picture achievements that are not covered by existing Academy Awards.
• Prior winners of competitive Academy Awards are not excluded from receiving the Honorary Award.
• The Honorary Award is presented at the Annual Governors Awards.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.