Jawaid Akhtar Elected Chairperson of International Coffee Council
Jawaid Akhtar was elected as the Chairperson of the International Coffee Council at Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
Jawaid Akhtar, the Chairman of Coffee Board of India, was elected as the Chairperson of the International Coffee Council at the meetings of the International Coffee Organization which took place on 9 September 2013 in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. The 111th session of the Council and the meetings took place from 9 September 2013- 12 September 2013.
At the same time, Conradin Rasi of Switzerland was elected as the Vice-Chairperson of the International Coffee Council. The Council also appointed Juan Esteban Orduz of Colombia as the Chairperson of the Consultative Forum.
About the International Coffee Organization (ICO)
• The International Coffee Organization was established in 1963 in London.
• It was initiated with the United Nations (UN) to increase cooperation among the nations which produce, distribute and consume coffee.
• The International Coffee Organization was formed as a result of the five-year International Coffee Agreement signed in 1962 at the UN in New York.
• Till the year 2011, it comprised of 39 members, which included 33 exporting nations, 5 importing countries and one importing community, i.e., the European Union.
• The highest body of the ICO is International Coffee Council. It meets two times a year and the Private Sector Consultative Board of ICO includes 16 representatives from coffee production and consumption industries.
• The members of ICO represent 97 percent of the world coffee production and more than 80 percent of the world consumption.