President Ram Nath Kovind on May 30, 2018 presented the 'Santokbaa Humanitarian Award' to Child rights activist and Noble Laureate Kailash Satyarthi and to space scientist A S Kiran Kumar, former Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
The award was bestowed during President’s visit to diamond city Surat, Gujarat in the presence of the Gujarat Governor O P Kohli and Chief Minister Vijay Rupani.
On receiving the award, Kailash Satyarthi declared that he would donate the money to Surakshit Bachpan Fund (Safe Childhood Fund) for the welfare of children. While, AS Kiran Kumar announced to dedicate the prize money to further research and development work in space science and technology.
About Kailash Satyarthi
• Born on 11 January 1954, Kailash Satyarthi is an Indian children's rights and education advocate.
• In 1980, he gave up his career as an engineer and founded the Bachpan Bachao Andolan.
• He has acted to protect the rights of more than 83000 children from 144 countries.
• It is mainly because of his work and activism that the International Labour Organization adopted Convention No. 182 on the worst forms of child labour, which is now a principal guideline for governments around the world.
• In 2014, he was honoured with the Nobel Peace Prize, which he shared with Malala Yousafzai of Pakistan.
About A S Kiran Kumar
Santokbaa Humanitarian Award
• The Santokbaa Humanitarian Award was instituted by Shree Ramkrishna Knowledge Foundaton (SRKKF) and led by diamond baron Govind Dholakia.
• The award includes a trophy and prize money of Rs 1 crore.
• SRKKF confers the award every year for humanitarian contributions by individuals whose life and work are characterised by their selfless and inspiring service.
• The award was first presented in 2007 and since then, the award has honoured various eminent personalities including Ratan Tata, His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Bhikhu Parekh, Dr Verghese Kurien, Gandhian Narayan Desai and Sam Pitroda.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.