The world level weapon production unit “Punj Lyod Defence System” was inaugurated in Malanpur Industrial Area of Bhind district of Madhya Pradesh. The unit was jointly inaugurated on 4 May 2017 by Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Union Rural Development Minister Narendra Singh Tomar.
The state government claimed that it is the first small weapon manufacturing unit in private sector in the country. It has been set up in the joint partnership of India’s Punj Lyod and Israel Weapon Industry under the Make in India Programme.
The joint venture company, Punj Lloyd Raksha Systems, will help the armed forces in replacing their weapons with sophisticated and high precision products.
• This manufacturing unit will supply world class weapons to the armed forces in sync with the country’s defence indigenization programme.
• It will produce four products, namely Galil sniper rifle, X95 carbine and assault rifle, Tavor assault rifle and Negev Light Machine Gun (LMG).
The plant was commissioned few days before Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Israel. Reports suggest that numerous mega defence deals would be signed between the two nations during this visit.
Comments on the two sides after commissioning of the unit
• Michel Ben-Baruch, Head of SIBAT, Israel Ministry of Defence: He said that Israel will continue its support in transferring the technology to India for its defence production. His country supports this cooperation and will continue to support the transfer of technology and information in the future, for the betterment of improved advanced tools.
• Atul Punj, the chairman of Punj Lloyd: He said, “it is the first time in India that we are coming together with the complete technology to manufacture these products as 'Made in India'." He also informed that these are tried and tested battle proven products already being used within the country.
• Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Chief Minister Madhya Pradesh: Now, the army men will use weapons which will be produced in Chambal, the place which was famous for the presence of a number of gangsters and dacoits.
• Daniel Carmon, Israel's Ambassador to India: He said ties between the two countries are built on the strengths of each other and hoped that many more joint ventures and collaborations in defence sector will take place in future.
What: Was inaugurated
When: 4 May 2017
Madhya Pradesh Elections 2018: Congress wins 114 seats, falls short of majority
Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, MP awarded best-performing states in ’Ease of Living Index’ 2018
Union Government, ADB sign USD 375 million loan agreement to improve irrigation efficiency in Madhya Pradesh
Shaheed Saman Diwas to be observed in Madhya Pradesh