Badminton ace Nandu Natekar in April 2016 became the first non-Cricketer to be inducted into the Legends Club founded by the late Cricket Club of India (CCI) president Raj Singh Dungarpur.
Natekar was inducted into the club along with 1983 World Cup-winning captain Kapil Dev, who became the sixth cricketer to be inducted in the club.
The two, Nandu and Kapil were inducted into the Club’s legend group after consultation with the Cricket Club of India (CCI) president, Kekoo Nicholson.
With this inclusion, the birthdays of Nandu Natekar (12 May) and Kapil Dev (6 January) will also be celebrated along with birthdays of Vijay Merchant, Vijay Hazare, Vinoo Mankad, Sunil Gavaskar and Sachin Tendulkar.
Besides, CCI president Kekoo Nicholson said that the main gate of the club will be named after late Rajsingh Dungarpur.
• It was founded in 2003 by late Raj Singh Dungarpur, the former CCI president.
• It honours the cricketers and sports person by celebrating their birthdays and talking on certain topic of the game.
• Madhav Apte, a former Test opening batsman, is the president of the Legends Club.
• It was formed along the lines of England's Master's Club started by famous cricket commentator John Arlott in memory of Jack Hobbs.
Cricket Club of India (CCI)
• The Cricket Club of India (CCI) is a private club incorporated on 8 November, 1933.
• It was established with an objective to promote cricket and other sports in the country.
• The idea of setting up this institution was given by Grant Govan, a British businessman from Delhi who sought to establish this on reclaimed land of 90000 sq yards abutting the Arabian Sea, granted by Lord Brabourne, the then Governor of Bombay.
• The stadium constructed on that land is named as Brabourne Stadium and was officially inaugurated on 7 December 1937 by hosting a cricket match between Lord Tennyson’s XI and CCI.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.