24 December: National Consumer Day
The 31st National Consumer Day was celebrated on 21 December 2016 across India with the theme Alternate Consumer Disputes Redressal.
To mark this occasion, the Department of Consumer Affairs, Ministry of Consumer Affairs Food and Public Distribution organised a special event at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi.
The event was inaugurated and presided over by the Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution Ram Vilas Paswan.
In the event, the participants discussed on the theme Alternative Dispute Resolution, which is already being practiced in resolving civil disputes.
About National Consumer Day
• The day is being celebrated annually on 24 December to mark the enactment of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 on 24 December 1986.
• Observance of this day provides an opportunity for individuals to highlight the importance of the consumer movement and promote the basic rights and responsibilities of all consumers.
• The day also reminds the producers and distributors of goods and services about their responsibility towards the protection of consumer rights.
Consumer Protection Act, 1986
• It was enacted with the objective of providing better protection of consumers’ interest.
• The Consumer Protection Act, 1986 provides safeguards to the consumer against various types of exploitations and unfair dealings.
• It provides for the promotion and protection of rights of consumers such as Right to Safety, Right to be informed, Right to Choose and Right to be heard.
• The act applies to all goods and services unless explicitly exempted. It covers the private, public and cooperative sectors.
• It provides for speedy and inexpensive adjudication mechanisms to resolve disputes.
• At present, the Consumer Protection Bill, 2015 is pending in the Lok Sabha. After its enactment by the Parliament, the bill will replace the Consumer Protection Act, 1986.
• The World Consumer Rights Day is observed on 15 March annually. The theme for the day in 2016 was - Antibiotics off the Menu.
Where: Across India
When: 24 December 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.