Nawaz Sharif inaugurated Chashma-III nuclear power plant
Chashma-III nuclear power plant is located about 250 km southwest of capital Islamabad at Chashma in Mianwali district of Punjab Province.
Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on 28 December 2016 inaugurated Chashma-III nuclear power plant near Mianwali in Punjab Province.
The inauguration of the plant not only alleviates the load shedding problems in Punjab Province, but also helps Pakistan in achieving the commitments under the Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs).
As per the INDCs that are submitted by Pakistan to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCC), use of non-fossil fuel based energy sources will be encouraged in the country.
About Chashma-III Nuclear Power Plant
• It also called as the C-III nuclear power plant.
• The power project is a joint collaboration between the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) and China National Nuclear Corporation.
• It was executed by the PAEC under the guidelines of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that monitors diversion of nuclear energy material and technology for non-civilian uses.
• It helps the government's commitment to end loads shedding by 2018.
• For the successful completion of the project, the China Atomic Energy Authority and the Export-Import Bank of China extended technical and financial support.
• The 600 MW capacity plant is a part of the bigger Chashma Nuclear Project that consists of four nuclear power plants.
• While the Chashma-I and Chashma-II power projects are already operationalised, Chashma-IV plant will be operationalised in 2017.
• The four plants will help the PAEC in achieving the overall target of 8000 MW nuclear energy capacity.
Nuclear energy scenario in Pakistan
• In addition to the four plants as part of the Chashma Nuclear Power Project, Pakistan is constructing K-II and K-III nuclear power plants in Karachi.
• All these projects together are expected to add a total of 8800 MW electricity to the national grid by 2030 which is a medium target for the PAEC.
• As all these nuclear projects are executed with the help of China, they may cause a strain in the bilateral relationship between India and Pakistan.