The Sursagar Society of Dilli Gharana in third week of August 2016 announced that it will confer the annual Sangeet Martand Ustad Chand Khan Lifetime Achievement Award on santoor maestro Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma.
The society has been felicitating stalwarts of Indian classical music and dance with the award since 1986 to recognise their contribution towards enriching the art forms.
In 2015, the honour was conferred upon Kathak exponent Pandit Birju Maharaj. Other recipients of the award include Pandit Jasraj, Ustad Abdul Haleem Jaffar Khan, Ustad Amjad Ali Khan and a centenarian Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan.
The award carries a cash prize of 50000 rupees, a memento and a citation.
About Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma
• Pandit Shiv kumar Sharma is an Indian Santoor player, the folk instrument of Jammu & Kashmir.
• He was born in Jammu on 13 January 1938.
• He is credited with making the Santoor a popular Classical Instrument.
• He composed the background music for one of the scenes in Shantaram's Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baje in 1956.
• In 1967, he teamed up with flautist Hariprasad Chaurasia and Brij Bhushan Kabra to produce a concept album, Call of the Valley, which turned out to be one of the greatest hits in Indian Classical Music.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Union Cabinet approved grant of Permanent Residency Status to Foreign Investors
MoUD and Amar Chitra Katha signs MoU to publish and distribute comic book on Swachh Bharat Mission
Gujarat becomes first state to distribute 2 crore LED Bulbs under UJALA
Mukesh Mehta appointed as President of India Bullion and Jewellers Association