PM Narendra Modi launched International Solar Alliance in Paris
The purpose of the alliance is to augment solar energy generation in solar resource rich countries located between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 30 November 2015 launched International Solar Alliance at the United Nations Climate Change Conference 2015 (COP21) in Paris, France. The event was co-chaired by French President Francois Hollande and attended by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
The purpose of the alliance is to augment solar energy generation in solar resource rich countries.
Features of International Solar Alliance
• It will provide a common platform to learn from mutual experiences, research and development and for evolving common financial solutions and administrative solutions.
• It will focus on cooperation among member countries in training, building institutions, regulatory issues, common standards and investment including joint ventures.
• All countries, around 120, located fully or partly between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn will be the members of the grouping.
• It will function from the National Institute of Solar Energy in India, Gurgaon.
• The Union Government will provide land and 30 million US dollars to build a secretariat and support the initiative for 5 years.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App