President Pranab Mukherjee on 8 September 2014 presented the Saakshar Bharat Awards 2014 at International Literacy Day Celebrations. The function was organized by Union Ministry of Human Resource Development at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi.
He gave away 11 Saakshar Bharat Awards 2014 to State, Districts, Blocks, Gram Panchayats, State Resource Centre (SRC) and Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS) for their best performance in the field of adult education.
One of the recipient of Saakshar Bharat National Award 2014 was G.S.R. K.R. Vijaykumar, the District collector of Prakasam District, Andhra Pradesh. He received the award for turning 4.75 lakh non literates into literates within nine months in the total literacy programme.
Saakshar Bharat Awards 2014 were given in following categories:
1. State- State Literacy Mission Authorities (SLMAs)
2. District- Zilla Lok Shiksha Samitis (ZLSSs)
3. Gram Panchayat- Gram Lok Shiksha Samitis (GLSSs)
4. Resource Support Organisations like University Dept. of Adult & Continuing Education, SRCs,
JSSs, NGOs and other organisations.
Saakshar Bharat Awards
Saakshar Bharat Awards were instituted by the National Literacy Mission Authority, Government of India to encourage institutions working in the field of literacy and skill development. The awards are presented on the occasion of International Literacy Day every year on 8 September 2014.
About Saakshar Bharat
Saakshar Bharat is a centrally sponsored scheme of Department of School Education and Literacy (DSEL) and Union Ministry of Human Resource Development. It was launched on 8 September 2009.
Achievements under Saakshar Bharat are:
• Programme was rolled out in rural areas of 383 Low Female Literacy Districts in 25 States and one
Union Territory since 2009.
• 28.39 million learners (including 20.38 million females) successfully passed the basic literacy
assessments conducted from 2010 by National Institute for Open Schooling upto March 2014.
• Certified learners also include 6.66 million Scheduled Castes (23%), 3.58 million Scheduled Tribes
(12.6%) and 2.33 million Minorities (8.2%).
Where: New Delhi
When: 8 September 2014