Punjab National Bank (PNB) on 11 October 2015 claimed the Beighton Cup hockey tournament at the Sports Authority of India (SAI) ground in Kolkata. PNB defeated Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) by 5-3 in penalties.
At the end of regulation time, both teams were locked at 1-1. Satpal Gulia of PNB had put the team in front in the 30th minute via a penalty corner. Three minutes after the half-time, Deepak Thakur of IOC went for a field goal.
However, Naveen Antil of PNB struck the decisive goal in the end to kick off the celebration for the team.
PNB goalkeeper Jasbir Singh was awarded with the Best Player award, whereas, the Fairplay Trophy was given to Army XI.
About Beighton Cup
• Beighton Cup, one of the oldest field hockey tournaments, was instituted in 1895.
• It is organised by Bengal Hockey Association and is held on Astro Turf (artificial grass) at Sports Authority of India in Kolkata.
• The game was initially used to be held on natural grass at the Mohun Bagan ground in Kolkata.
• The cup is named after T.D. Beighton, Legal Remembrancer of the Government of Bengal.
• Beighton Cup was initially run by the Indian Football Association.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App