Real Madrid beats Barcelona to win 2017 Spanish Super Cup
The 2017 Spanish Super Cup was the 31st edition of the tournament.
Real Madrid on 16 August 2017 defeated Barcelona 2-0 in the second leg of the 2017 Spanish Super Cup to seal the win.
Real Madrid achieved the feat without Cristiano Ronaldo, who was slapped with a five-game ban for pushing the referee after he was sent-off in the first leg.
About Real Madrid
• Real Madrid is a professional football club based in Madrid, Spain.
• The football club was founded on 6 March 1902 as Madrid Football Club.
• The word Real is Spanish for Royal and was bestowed to the club by King Alfonso XIII in 1920 together with the royal crown in the emblem.
• The club was estimated to be worth USD 3.65 billion in 2015.
• Real Madrid is one of three founding members of La Liga that have never been relegated from the top division, along with Athletic Bilbao and Barcelona.
• The football club was recognised as the FIFA Club of the 20th Century on 11 December 2000, and received the FIFA Centennial Order of Merit on 20 May 2004.
About Spanish Super Cup
• The Spanish Super Cup is a Spanish football championship contested by the winners of La Liga and the Copa del Rey.
• In the event that a team wins both La Liga and the Copa del Rey, the runners up of the Copa del Rey will play against the winner of La Liga.
• The 2017 Spanish Super Cup was the 31st edition of the tournament.