Saina Nehwal on 22 January 2017 won the 2017 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Women’s Singles title.
Nehwal defeated Thailand’s Pornpawee Chochuwong by a score of 22-20, 22-20 in a 46-minute clash.
It was Nehwal’s 23rd title overall and the first after 2016 Australian Open.
On the other hand, Men’s Singles title was won by Hong Kong’s Ng Ka Long. Berry Angriawan and Hardianto clinched the 2017 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Men's Doubles, while Jongkolphan Kititharakul and Rawinda Prajongjai lifted the Women’s Doubles title. Mixed Doubles title was grabbed by Tan Kian Meng and Lai Pei Jing.
The 2017 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold was held at the Sibu Indoor Stadium in Sarawak, Malaysia from 17 January to 22 January 2017.
About Saina Nehwal
• Saina Nehwal has been maintaining her world ranking in the top ten since 2009.
• She has clinched over twenty international titles, which include ten Superseries titles.
• She attained the World No. 1 ranking in 2015. With that, she became India’s only female player and overall the second Indian player after Prakash Padukone to achieve it.
• She represented India thrice in the Olympics, winning bronze medal in her second appearance.
• She is the only Indian to have won at least a medal in every BWF major individual event, namely the Olympics, the BWF World Championships, and the BWF World Junior Championships.
• She is the first Indian badminton player to win an Olympic medal.
• In 2006, she became the first Indian female and the youngest Asian to win a 4-star tournament.
• In 2016, she was honoured with the Padma Bhushan by the Government of India.
About Malaysia Masters
• The Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold began 2009.
• It is the second level tournament held after Superseries.
• The total prize money for the tournament is USD 120000.
Who: Saina Nehwal
When: 22 January 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.