Renowned music composer and actor Shekhar Sen was on 29 January 2015 appointed as the Chairman of the Sangeet Natak Akademi (SNA). He was appointed for a term of 5 years with immediate effect.
Shekhar Sen will succeed Leela Samson who resigned from the position on 5 September 2014. The post was lying vacant since October 2014.
• Born and brought up in Chhattisgarh, Sen began to learn music from his parents who were renowned classical singers of Gwalior Gharana & Musicologists.
• Sen established himself as a singer with a different style by singing the medieval poets like Raskhan, Raheem, Lalitkishori, Bhooshan Bihari and many more.
• He is famous for his mono act musical plays Tulsi, Kabeer, Vivekananda, and Soordas.
• Sen’s performances are acclaimed in India, US, UK, Belgium, Surinam, Singapore, Jakarta, Hong Kong, South Africa, UAE, Mauritius and Trinidad.
• Shekhar Sen has received prestigious awards including Padam Shri Award in 2015, Safdar Hashmi Puraskar in 2001 for his contribution in field of theatre and V. Shantaram Lalit Kala Puraskaar in 2008.
About Sangeet Natak Akademi
• The Sangeet Natak Akademi was created by the then Union Ministry of Education through a resolution dated 31 May 1952 notified in the Gazette of India of June 1952.
• The Akademi was inaugurated on 28 January 1953 by India’s first President, Rajendra Prasad to promote performing arts such as dance, drama and music across the country.
• SNA has established several institutions over the years including Manipur Dance Academy in Imphal, Sattriya Centre, Kathak Kendra in New Delhi and Centre for Kutiyattam in Thiruvananthapuram.
Who: Shekhar Sen
When: 29 January 2015