Zubaida Bai, Indian social entrepreneur, in the fourth week of June 2016 was named among the top 10 Local SDG Pioneers for 2016.
The 2016 Local SDG Pioneers is a part of the United Nations Global Compact’s Making Global Goals Local Business campaign.
The Local SDG Pioneers programme seeks out individuals who are demonstrating how the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) can enable business to unlock economic, social and environmental gains for the world.
Other nine 2016 Local SDG Pioneers are:
• Kerry Adler: Founder, President and Chief Executive Officer of SkyPower Global, Canada
• Farzana Chowdhury: Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Green Delta Insurance Company Limited, Bangladesh
• Xiaohui Liang: Chief Researcher, Office for Social Responsibility of China National Textile & Apparel Council, China
• Claus Stig Pedersen: Head of Corporate Sustainability of Novozymes, Denmark
• Dina Sherif: Chief Executive Officer, Co-founder of Ahead of the Curve, Egypt
• Sonia Consiglio Favaretto: Press and Sustainability Managing Director of BM&FBOVESPA S.A., Brazil
• Patrick Ngowi: Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Helvetic Group, Tanzania
• Ulisses Sabará: President of Beraca, Brazil
• Ulysses Smith: Attorney at Linklaters LLP, USA
Who is Zubaida Bai?
• Zubaida Bai is an Indian social entrepreneur and engineer.
• She founded ayzh, a social enterprise which provides technology solutions to rural women.
• In 2009, she was named a TED Fellow.
• In 2011, her design for JANMA, a clean birth kit, was selected by INDEX Awards as one of 61 products globally designed to improve life.
About United Nations Global Compact
• The United Nations Global Compact is an initiative to encourage businesses worldwide to adopt sustainable and socially responsible policies.
• It is a principle-based framework for businesses. It states ten principles in the areas of human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption.
• The UN Global Compact was announced by then UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan in an address to the World Economic Forum on 31 January 1999.
• It was officially launched at UN Headquarters in New York on 26 July 2000.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Zubaida Bai
When: Fourth week of June 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.