Sonam Kapoor named PETA India's Person of the Year for 2018
Sonam Kapoor, a vegan, has been named People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India's Person of the Year for 2018. The actress is known to be an advocate for animal rights. She keeps animal skin out of her handbag line for her fashion brand Rheson, apart from taking other action for the welfare of animals.
Sonam Kapoor, a vegan, has been named People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India's Person of the Year for 2018.
"Whether she's enjoying vibrant vegan meals or rallying her fans to do their part to stop animal suffering, Sonam Kapoor never hesitates to help animals any way she can," said PETA India Associate Director Sachin Bangera in a statement.
• Sonam Kapoor has been known to be an advocate for animal rights. She is a vegan herself and keeps animal skin out of her handbag line for her fashion brand Rheson, apart from taking other action for the welfare of animals.
• In 2016, the actress was named PETA India's Hottest Vegetarian Celebrity and she earned a Compassionate Business Award from the group a year later for her cruelty-free handbag line.
• Her past animal advocacy efforts include urging the Minister of Environment, Forests and Climate Change not to revoke the ban on classroom dissection for university life science and zoology students.
• She had also been at the forefront to call for a Maharashtra-wide ban on the glass-coated manja, which harms and kills birds as they get entangled in it.
• She had also donated "kind kites" to children to help prevent injuries from manja.
• In addition, she frequently speaks out for animals on social media.
The past recipients of the PETA India's Person of the Year Award include Anushka Sharma, Sunny Leone, Shashi Tharoor, former Supreme Court Justice KS Panicker Radhakrishnan a Kapil Sharma, Hema Malini, R. Madhavan and Jacqueline Fernandez.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is the largest animal rights organisation in the world, with more than 6.5 million members and supporters.
PETA mainly focuses its attention on four areas, in which the greatest number of animals suffer intensely, that too for the longest period of time:
- Food industry
- Clothing trade
- Entertainment industry
The organisation works on a variety of other issues as well including the cruel killing of rodents, birds, and other animals who are often considered “pests” as well as cruelty to domesticated animals.
The organisation works through public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, special events, celebrity involvement, and protest campaigns.
PETA India, based in Mumbai, was launched in January 2000. It operates under the simple principle that animals are not to experiment on, eat, wear, use for entertainment, or abuse in any other way, while also educating policymakers and the public about animal abuse and promoting an understanding of the right of all animals to be treated with respect.
PETA India’s public education efforts, research and animal rescues have resulted in countless improvements to the quality of life for animals and have saved countless animals’ lives.
The winner of the PETA 2017 Person of the Year Award was Anushka Sharma. The popular actress was chosen for the title for her wide-reaching work for animals, from helping to protect dogs from fireworks to advocating for horses who are forced to pull carriages in Mumbai.