Srilankan President Maithripala Sirisena on 18 November 2015 presented a special cabinet paper to abolish the Executive Presidency and introduce a new electoral system for its approval.
By doing so, Sirisena fulfills a pledge he gave during the Presidential election manifesto 2015, under the theme A Compassionate Maithri Governance-A Stable Country.
How the process will be carried out?
• A committee headed by Parliamentarian Dr Jayampathy Wickramaratne has been appointed to take measures in this regard. Among its members are senior lawyer Suren Fernando and Additional Secretary (Legal) to the Prime Minister Bimba Thilakaratne.
• Prof Suri Ratnapala, a veteran in the field of legal studies, will be the government’s chief consultant to formulate the new constitution.
• A subcommittee headed by the Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe will be appointed to finalize the process and a report by the Cabinet Subcommittee will be presented by November 2015 end to the Cabinet.
• Subsequent to this, the legislative draftsmen will draft the required amendments to the Constitution.
• Meanwhile, the government is likely to pass a resolution in Parliament seeking its approval to set up a Constitutional Secretariat to draft a new Constitution.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 18 November 2015