The Flaming Tresses of Draupadi: M Veerappa Moily
M Veerappa Moily, senior Congress leader and former Chief Minister of Karnataka released a book tracing the life of Draupadi on 7 April 2017. The book was released by the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The book traces the whole life journey of the legendary Mythological character, right from her birth from the sacrificial fire to her marriage to the five Pandavas, to losing all the fortune and even honour to the Kauravas in the midst of a gambling game and finally the great war of Kurukshetra, which ends with the victory of the Pandavas.
• Originally the book has been written by Moily in Kannada and it was translated into English by D A Shankar.
• The book has been published by Rupa Publication Company.
• Moily describes the book as an autobiography of Draupadi through his eyes.
• The minister, who is currently representing the Chikballapur constituency in the 16th Lok Sabha, has written several books prior to this in both Kannada and English.
• His most ambitious piece till now has been "Shree Ramayana Mahaveshanam", which received the Moortidevi Award of the Bhartiya Jnanpith.\
Commenting on the book, Moily stated that he chose Draupadi as his central character, as he felt that she was an exemplary character for the age she lived in and the age that followed and no work according to him has been written about her that truly traced her story without bearing any gender bias.
Who: M Veerappa Moily
When: 7 April 2017