The President of Taiwan presented the first Tang Prizes in Taipei
Ma Ying-jeou, The President of Taiwan presented the Tang Prizes in Taiwan’s capital Taipei.
Ma Ying-jeou, The President of Taiwan presented the Tang Prizes in Taiwan’s capital Taipei on 18 September 2014. This award honours the outstanding contributions to the environment, human rights, medicine and Sinology. The Tang Prize is treated as Asia's version of the Nobels.
Tang Prize 2014 Recipients
• Sustainable Development - Gro Harlem Brundtland former Premier of Norway
She was awarded for her innovation, leadership and implementation of sustainable development that laid out the scientific and technical challenges.
Gro Harlem Brundtland is called as the "godmother" of sustainable development.
• Sinology – Chinese American, Historian Yu Ying-shih
He was awarded for his mastery of and insight into Chinese intellectual, political, and cultural history with an emphasis on his profound research into the history of public intellectuals in China.
• Biopharmaceutical Science - James P Allison of US and Tasuku Honjo of Japan
They were awarded for their discoveries of CTLA-4 and PD-1 as immune inhibitory molecules, revealing ways to harness our incredibly powerful immune system to fight cancer and marking the beginning of the immunotherapy revolution.
• The Rule of Law - Albie Sachs, former justice of the Constitutional Court of South Africa
He was awarded for his contributions to human rights and justice around the world. He is a lawyer and human rights activist who spent his lifetime fighting apartheid, helped write the new Constitution of South Africa.
About Tang Prize
• The prize was founded in 2012 with the donation of 3 billion Taiwan dollars by Samuel Yin. Yin was one of the richest men in Taiwan.
• Yin had promised to donate 95 percent of his wealth to charity during his lifetime and according to Forbes magazine’s estimation, His net assets are 4.5 billion dollars.
• The prize is named after a Chinese Dynasty Tang of 618-907 AD.
• Each winner of the prize gets 50 million Taiwan dollars (107 million US dollars). The prize will be 40 million Taiwan dollars in cash and the remainder in a grant
• The Award is given in environment, human rights, medicine and Sinology categories.