Pakistan court sentences ousted PM Nawaz Sharif to 10 years imprisonment in corruption case
• An accountability court in Pakistan on July 6, 2018 sentenced ousted prime minister Nawaz Sharif to 10 years in prison in one of the three corruption cases against him in the high-profile Panama Papers scandal.
• His daughter Maryam was sentenced to seven years and son-in-law Captain (retired) Safdar was sentenced one year imprisonment.
• While Nawaz Sharif was fined 10 million dollar, his daughter Maryam was handed down a 2.6 million dollar fine.
• The court delivered the verdict after postponing it for four times in the Avenfield corruption case -- pertaining to the ownership of four flats in the posh Avenfield House in London.
• Nawaz Sharif is in London attending to his wife Kulsoom Nawaz who was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2017.
• The ruling came weeks before the general elections of Pakistan that are scheduled to be held on July 25.
UP launches ‘Commercial tax at your door steps' scheme on GST Day
• The Uttar Pradesh Government launched 'Commercial Tax at your door steps' on the occasion of Goods and Services Tax (GST) Day celebration at the offices of commercial tax on July 1, 2018.
• The scheme will run from July 1 to August 31, 2018.
• During these days, officials will meet the small and medium traders and resolve their issues related to commercial taxes.
• The facility of return filing, registration amendments and e-way bill downloading will be provided instantly and further assistance to resolve the technical issues will be provided swiftly.
PAN-Aadhaar linking deadline extended till March 31, 2019: CBDT order
• The CBDT on June 30, 2018 extended the deadline for the PAN-Aadhaar linking to March 31, 2019.
• This is the fifth time the government has extended the deadline for individuals to link their Permanent Account Number (PAN) to their biometric ID (Aadhaar).
• The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) had last extended the deadline on March 27.
• The earlier deadlines for linking the two databases were July 31, August 31 and December 31 in 2017; and March 31 and June 30 in 2018.
Punjab orders mandatory dope test
• Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh has ordered a mandatory dope test for all government employees, including police personnel, from the time of their recruitment through every stage of their service.
• Drug screening will be mandatory in cases of promotions, and also be a part of annual medical examinations.
• The state’s Chief Secretary has been asked to issue an order.
RBI grants licence to Bank of China
• The Reserve Bank of India has issued the license to Bank of China to launch operations in India.
• With this, Bank of China becomes the second Chinese bank after the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China to have a branch in India.
• Bank of China is one of the four biggest state-owned commercial banks in China. Bank of China opened its first branch in South Asia in Pakistan’s Karachi in 2017.
Karnataka Government waives off Rs 34000 cr farm loan
• Karnataka Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy on July 5, 2018 announced a Rs 34000 crore worth farm loan waiver in the maiden budget of the state’s Congress-JDS run coalition government.
• Unveiling the budget proposals in the state assembly, Kumaraswamy who also holds the finance portfolio said that he had limited the loan amount to Rs 2 lakh, as it was not right to waiver higher value crop loan.
• To mobilise resources, the Chief Minister has proposed in the budget to increase tax on petrol from 19 to 21 per cent, additional excise duty on IML by 4 per cent, tax on electricity from 6 to 9 per cent and Motor Vehicles Tax by 50 per cent on private service vehicles.
• Besides this, it has been decided to credit the repaid loan amount or Rs 25000, whichever is less, to each of the farmers account to help farmers who had repaid the loan within time.
World Heritage meeting concludes with 19 new sites added to list
• The 42nd World Heritage Committee meeting concluded on July 4, 2018 in Bahrain's capital Manama, with 19 new sites inscribed to the World Heritage List.
• The meeting, which opened on June 24, added 13 cultural sites, three natural sites and three mixed ones to the World Heritage List, including Germany’s Naumburg Cathedral, Kenya’s Thimlich Ohinga Archaeological Site, Oman’s Ancient City of Qalhat, China’s Mount Fanjingshan and France’s Chaine des.
• The World Heritage List now contains 1,092 sites in 167 countries.
• The committee also decided to inscribe Lake Turkana National Parks in Kenya to the List of World Heritage in Danger, while removing the Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System from the list.
• The next session of the World Heritage Committee will be held in Baku, capital of Azerbaijan.
US think tank announces India US Fellows Exchange programme
• New America, a prominent American think tank has announced a fellows exchange programme aimed at enabling India and the US to better harness technology to improve the lives of their citizens.
• Funded by the Ford Foundation, the programme by New America will bring fellows from India to the United States, and fellows from the United States to India to devise novel technology-based solutions to policy challenges.
• The aim of this program is to enable both countries to better harness technology to improve the lives of their citizens,.
• It will also improve and strengthen the bilateral relationship between India and the United States.
NASA to use submarines for hunting meteorite remains in Pacific Ocean
• Scientists from several organisations in the US, including NASA, are planning to use remote-operated submarines to hunt for the remains of an outer space object.
• The Nautilus Research Ship of the non-profit group Ocean Exploration Trust (OET) will aid in the scavenger hunt Digitaltrends.
• The object splashed down into the Pacific Ocean on March 7, 2018.
• When the outer space object entered the Pacific Ocean, a bright flash lit up the sky and a tremendous boom rattled the residents of Ocean Shores, Washington.
MAIDS ranked 'best dental college' in India
• The Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences (MAIDS) under the Government of NCT of Delhi has been ranked the ‘Best Dental College in India’ for the seventh year in a row.
• The evaluation was done on the basis of reports of independent rating agencies of Hansa Research, Drshti Strategic Research Services and Nielsen India.
• MAIDS outshone 310 dental colleges to become No 1 in dental education in India.
• The institute is the first and only dental hospital in India to be accredited by the National Accreditation of Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers (NABH).
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports